1908 O barber dime and some old bottles,Tue finds

junkhunter

Oct 4, 2010
Hunted from noon till the 3rd rain storm.I eyeballed the tip of these 2 bottles sticking out of a stream bank.One says "LYKENS BOTTLING WORKS LYKENS PA" other one says"Smith" on top and "VIOLET SMITH &SON CONTENTS 7FLUID OZS." all the way around base then below it"THIS BOTTLE NEVER SOLD WILLIAMSTOWN.PA."Not sure how old they are.Seem stops at bottom rim on top of neck.I am guessing not very old.

Also got a 1908 o barber which is my favorite mint mark.A destroyed indian head penny which i am soaking.2 wheat cents ,a thimble,and some clad.A good park hunt i think for a few hours.

Attachments

• div spring2013 020.jpg
    div spring2013 020.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 199
  • div spring2013 022.jpg
    div spring2013 022.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 171
  • barber.jpg
    barber.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 343
  • barber2.jpg
    barber2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 4

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great dime and bottles

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats HH

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php
attachment.php

"This is the only photo my family has of my grandfather soda delivery truck. My great grandmother raised two boys alone and started a soda company during the depression in williamstown pa. Called violet smith and son or smith soda. Can anyone please identify the truck as to make model yr. I Also included pictures of his soda bottles. I think it is strange, odd, awesome, that my greatgrandma during depression all alone started a business and made soda and then brought her oldest son james my pap into it when he was 18." identify model and approx yr. please - THE H.A.M.B.

"I buy all i can find. Our youngest daughter we named her violet after great granma. I just got two bottles off ebay last week." off topic please help identify this truck - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Hello jh,

I like your bottles. They're both from the 1st quarter of the 20th Century, 1913+ for the Violet Smith, maybe a skoach older for the Lykens.

I'm not at all sure that the above Smith descendent is correct on his dates. Are the bases or heels of these two embossed with names & numbers?

Lykens bottled beer & soda, and may have bottled Yuengling.

OP
OP
J

junkhunter

Oct 4, 2010
lykens on base near seal 22 s 10 and g3470 on edge and 3 weird symbol 50 on smith

attachment.php
attachment.php

"This is the only photo my family has of my grandfather soda delivery truck. My great grandmother raised two boys alone and started a soda company during the depression in williamstown pa. Called violet smith and son or smith soda. Can anyone please identify the truck as to make model yr. I Also included pictures of his soda bottles. I think it is strange, odd, awesome, that my greatgrandma during depression all alone started a business and made soda and then brought her oldest son james my pap into it when he was 18." identify model and approx yr. please - THE H.A.M.B.

"I buy all i can find. Our youngest daughter we named her violet after great granma. I just got two bottles off ebay last week." off topic please help identify this truck - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Hello jh,

I like your bottles. They're both from the 1st quarter of the 20th Century, 1913+ for the Violet Smith, maybe a skoach older for the Lykens.

I'm not at all sure that the above Smith descendent is correct on his dates. Are the bases or heels of these two embossed with names & numbers?

Lykens bottled beer & soda, and may have bottled Yuengling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread