1923-S Standing Liberty Quarter

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a key date SLQ on Sunday on private ground. Came in 12-40 5 inches on the CTX while sweeping standing in one direction loud and clear switched directions and started sweeping, NOTHING! I decided to dig. Turned out to be the best SLQ I have found 1923-S Standing Liberty quarter! Had environmental damage and looked ugly in the light. Not worth the big bucks in the condition it was in. So I gave it a bath. Now I have a bit more detail, I was hoping for more but nope. Overall details look like XF to me.

HHdenny

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 3

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, it is a shame it has that corrosion, it was lost with low wear, the detail is nice, the SLQ's I have found always seem worn hard, most without a date.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely AMAZING find!! With that amount of chain mail left, that's easily an XF and looks like it could be higher. Too bad for the damage, but that is a very rare find indeed. I collect that series, so I am extremely happy for you!

Congrats and continued success!!

-- Jeff --

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow awesome find! A key date is an awesome find any day.

OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, it is a shame it has that corrosion, it was lost with low wear, the detail is nice, the SLQ's I have found always seem worn hard, most without a date.

Before cleaning there was corrosion on the high areas like letters and the head. Couldn't even take a good pic. After cleaning got some corrosion off but couldn't get the corrosion off around some of the letters on the reverse and some other low areas. Made some areas look blended in. Here's another pic before cleaning. Taken in the outdoors with sun going down.

HHdenny

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 82

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Super nice find! You might try soaking the coin in Mineral Oil for a week or more to see if it will loosen some more of the corrosion and encrustation on the coin. Once removed from the Mineral Oil, you might want to let it soak in a hot water and dishwashing liquid mix. This should help loosen more stuff on the coin and a light rub with a fingertip may be all that is needed before a good rinse and a pat dry with a soft towel.

Good luck and congrats!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread