What's new

1972 double die found!!!!

zmemarine

Full Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2008
Messages
151
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Unfortunately it isn't the big ticket DDO. It is the other that also has significant doubling on In god we trust, the date and the Liberty. I couldn't believe my eyes when I popped it under the loop and saw the split serifs all around. I have a digital microscope and will post pictures for all to see. Finally after 11 months of CRHing pennies I finally get my first DDO of any date. That was one of my goals for the year. Here are some photos from coppercoins.com that will show you what it looks like.

Semper Fi
 

Attachments

  • 1972p1do002m.webp
    1972p1do002m.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 371
  • 1972p1do002ma.webp
    1972p1do002ma.webp
    45.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 1972p1do002mb.webp
    1972p1do002mb.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 346
  • 1972p1do002mc.webp
    1972p1do002mc.webp
    42 KB · Views: 324
  • 1972p1do002md.webp
    1972p1do002md.webp
    42.6 KB · Views: 316
  • 1972p1do002me.webp
    1972p1do002me.webp
    42.9 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0
awesome find! I never even look for that stuff
 
that's what it is alright, nice find, i don't really look for anything but silver, but every once in a while a proof will pop out at me.
 
Wow... a DDO that ACTUALLY looks like a DDO! lol

Nice work!

I swear... some of the pictures show of their finds... I'm like "now what on EARTH am I supposed to be looking at"!

~Dave
 
Congrats on the error! Very nice find. I don't have the patience to check for errors.

-Codes
 
That is awesome, I should start looking for them!!!! :thumbsup:
 
Nice one :thumbsup: I'm still going through my first box of cents hoping to find one.
 
Very nice find, Congrats :thumbsup:
 
True story. Back in the early '80's, I was at my cousin's house in Nyack, NY. She had a big 5 gallon water bottle half filled with pennies. With nothing more interesting to do, we decided to have a contest to guess how many pennies were in that bottle. There were five of us counting, if I remember, so it went pretty fast, and I don't remember what the final tally was. What I do remember was that, while counting, I found a '72 double die. From my coin roll hunting days, I realized that the reverse of the 71-73 memorials had a distinct look to it, one that I can't describe in words but I know one when I see one. Whenever I saw a 72, or that reverse, I'd check. Wouldn't you know, I found a double die while counting? Of the five of us, I was the only one who even knew what one was, let alone to look for it. Since it was really my cousin's coin, I gave it to her. When I graduated from college in 1983, guess what my cousin gave me as a gift? I kept it for a while, then traded it for a bunch of wheats to fill out my album. I probably should have kept it :'(.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom