What's new

1982 Double Die Reverse?

silvereagle78

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Messages
453
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
I found this today going through some pennies. It definitely has doubling on the reverse but my book says it is rare which make me skeptical. Double Die or Machine Doubling? I know it has been explained a hundred times but I still don't get it. Anyway I have been having problems photographing it up close because they come out blurry and you need at least a little magnifier to see it. The doubling shows best on the right side of the E and inside of D of United and the right sides of the first T, A, and last S of States. What do you think? Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • DD4.webp
    DD4.webp
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,054
Upvote 0
Sorry, not doubling.
 
I think this is a better picture. The more I look at the cent it shows (doubling)? on the right side of the memorial and on the One Cent as well. I have taken a fellow TNETers advice and have posted it on coppercoins.com and I will let everyone know what they say. Even if it is only machine doubling it is still a rush to think I had actually found a rare one, Thanks for Looking
 

Attachments

  • DD6.webp
    DD6.webp
    72.8 KB · Views: 1,211
I see the doubling you're describing. I think it's machine doubling (MD). MD has flat shelf-like characteristics instead of being more rounded like a doubled die.

You can post it on www.cointalk.org under the errors section and those guys will tell you in a hour what the deal is. They're really good on the doubling issue.

I'll look for yours on there, as I'm curious also.

JasonB
 
After looking at the 2nd photo it is definitely machine doubling.
 
enamel7 said:
After looking at the 2nd photo it is definitely machine doubling.

And right you are Sir! The experts on coppercoins seem to agree. I ended up ordering the book from there website so maybe I willl better understand some of these errors with the Lincolns. Thanks for the offer JasonB, but I will let go of it here. The truth hurts but one day I will find my double die. Are machine doublings worth hanging on to? Thanks for looking
 
:)

You'll find yours. Most of us are still looking for that coin also.

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that the folks here aren't experts on the DDO's also, but cointalk seems to have a couple of guys on the Error forum that are really on it. They have helped me out on numerous ones.

Love this hobby!

JasonB
 
JasonB said:
:)

You'll find yours. Most of us are still looking for that coin also.

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that the folks here aren't experts on the DDO's also, but cointalk seems to have a couple of guys on the Error forum that are really on it. They have helped me out on numerous ones.

Love this hobby!

JasonB

I don't think anyone thought you were implying there aren't experts here. It is always good to get second opinions and when I stated earlier about the experts on copper coins, I meant the coppercoin.com website that specializes in Lincoln cent errors. Anyway Happy Hunting!!! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom