1st finds

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been waiting years to meet a geologist and it just hit me that perhaps there is a forum for that. Yup. I really enjoy searching for stuff along rivers, creeks. I have looked all over the internet to figure out what this is but can't find anything. If someone can help, I would be most appreciative. Glad to find this forum. Nice to meet ya. Jeb.

The first is a rock I guess, never have found anything like it or like the other where I look. Is the first a piece of glass? It is rainbow-pearlike on the surface of some facets. It is semi clear. But then had those grooves cut into it. I don't know why it wasn't smashed to pieces in the river if it was glass-never see anything like it at the river. The other one is green on the outside and smooth and looks like rock inside a rock? It is strange. Like someone coated a rock with something. Inside is white and crystally.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks so very much! Jeb.

Well Met Oldscout and welcome to the forum.

Your first bit is a bit of broken rock crystal, quartz, and your second bit is milky quartz with some crystallization on its host rock~ possibly granite or hard limestone. Not uncommon things to find creeking ;) I suggest you pick up a book or two on rock and mineral identification to help ease you into the hobby. You could be walking by some other stuff that might hold your interest as well ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the warm welcome! Thanks for taking the time to help id. I am pretty excited, never having found a piece of quartz like this before, ever in my lifetime in fact. I was just hoping it wasn't broken glass. Thanks again and I will look for a few good books. I spend too much time looking down...and to think I might be missing some good stuff all this time!

Upvote 0
I agree with DD, however is that table walnut? Looks a bit like zebra wood. Nice table you got there. If you tell me it's laminate I'm gonna fall over.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back