$2.5 gold coin mint mark D --- URGENT – need some help – PLEASE.

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
URGENT – need some help – PLEASE.
Tomorrow I’m going to the Estate auction – they have a lot of silver dollars / halves / silver jewelry etc….
Also they have a 1911 - $2.50 gold piece mint mark D.
I check and this could be worth over 1000 bucks in OK condition. Regular 2.5 gold pieces are going for about 250-350 bucks. I check the mint mark and is D no question ask.
What else should I look to verify this is an original and not fake coin???
Why the 1911 - $2.50 coin have only 1 mint mark or nothing at all.

Please post some info / pm me / or email me
Here are some pictures - not to good.

Attachments

• 2.5D.jpg
    2.5D.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 823
  • 2.5D-1.jpg
    2.5D-1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 833
  • 2.5D.jpg
    2.5D.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 805
  • 2.5D-1.jpg
    2.5D-1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 833

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Go to the book it is listed the weight should be your best bet they are usually spot on RED BOOK buy one go to library borrow one but you need to have this book if you have none other. Each year the book is renewed last years book can be had for half price or lower. Best place to get books is AMAZON they beat everyones price and have hard to find books without having to deal with some chickensquat auction. So get a gram scale you need a way to test gold silver there are differnt ways to get this done acid is one way but dangerous to handle the other is electronic tester you need to look up post made by (cyberdan) IMHO he is the best on here for advice and he has already covered it if you want to ask it.

OP
OP
Vodka1000

Vodka1000

Apr 21, 2007
cdltpx said:
Go to the book it is listed the weight should be your best bet they are usually spot on RED BOOK buy one go to library borrow one but you need to have this book if you have none other. Each year the book is renewed last years book can be had for half price or lower. Best place to get books is AMAZON they beat everyones price and have hard to find books without having to deal with some chickensquat auction. So get a gram scale you need a way to test gold silver there are differnt ways to get this done acid is one way but dangerous to handle the other is electronic tester you need to look up post made by (cyberdan) IMHO he is the best on here for advice and he has already covered it if you want to ask it.
Thanks for your reply.
Before the site went down I have many reply's to this post but they are all gone. Auction ended about a month ago and this coin was sold for 6500 bucks :icon_scratch:way out of my reach - ::)
Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread