What's new

2 axe head day

oldsmith

Full Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2014
Messages
112
Reaction score
99
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for awhile today to a site that had lots of fur trade history. I've put quite a few days at this place and my finds have been few due to the fact that it has easy access and people have been dumping trash there for years since. After about 3 hours of fighting the bush, trash, and bugs I sat down on a log, had a drink of water and contemplated switching locations. I looked at a depression in the ground about 10 yards away and thought I'd better check it out. Well I'm sure glad I did because my luck changed right away, I dug a signal in the loose soil, reached my hand in and I knew I had an axe head, I pulled it out and was quite pleased. I got another chunky signal about 2 feet away and pulled out the second axe head. As you can see by the pictures it looks as though it was broken and re-purposed as a wedge. I also found a broken spoon, small buckle, button, and what looks like a piece of barrel hoop. I havn't cleaned up the axe heads yet but am hoping I can find a makers mark. Thanks for looking and hh.
 

Attachments

  • axe heads 013.webp
    axe heads 013.webp
    774.4 KB · Views: 139
  • axe heads 014.webp
    axe heads 014.webp
    694.5 KB · Views: 148
  • axe heads 024.webp
    axe heads 024.webp
    647.7 KB · Views: 131
  • axe heads 025.webp
    axe heads 025.webp
    413.2 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 8
Cool stuff! Always love finding axe heads.
 
I also like the old axe heads. I have an I.D chart somewhere. I have a couple I want to put back on hickory and use. Nice lot of iron you have there!
 
OLD SMITTY I HAVE ONE EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE YOU ARE HOLDING IN YOUR HAND REF. PIC 2. AND THAT TYPE OF HEAD MUST OF HAD A WEAK SPOT WHEN DESIGNED AND FORGED BECAUSE MINE IS SNAPPED IN THE SAME PLACE, NICE OLD RELICS,ZUTPHEN
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom