2 axe head day

oldsmith

Mar 13, 2014
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold, Garrett propointer, teknetics t2 se, tessoro sand shark,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for awhile today to a site that had lots of fur trade history. I've put quite a few days at this place and my finds have been few due to the fact that it has easy access and people have been dumping trash there for years since. After about 3 hours of fighting the bush, trash, and bugs I sat down on a log, had a drink of water and contemplated switching locations. I looked at a depression in the ground about 10 yards away and thought I'd better check it out. Well I'm sure glad I did because my luck changed right away, I dug a signal in the loose soil, reached my hand in and I knew I had an axe head, I pulled it out and was quite pleased. I got another chunky signal about 2 feet away and pulled out the second axe head. As you can see by the pictures it looks as though it was broken and re-purposed as a wedge. I also found a broken spoon, small buckle, button, and what looks like a piece of barrel hoop. I havn't cleaned up the axe heads yet but am hoping I can find a makers mark. Thanks for looking and hh.

Attachments

• axe heads 013.JPG
    axe heads 013.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • axe heads 014.JPG
    axe heads 014.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
  • axe heads 024.JPG
    axe heads 024.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • axe heads 025.JPG
    axe heads 025.JPG
    807.8 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 4

payload77

Jul 3, 2014
WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool stuff! Always love finding axe heads.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also like the old axe heads. I have an I.D chart somewhere. I have a couple I want to put back on hickory and use. Nice lot of iron you have there!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OLD SMITTY I HAVE ONE EXACTLY LIKE THE ONE YOU ARE HOLDING IN YOUR HAND REF. PIC 2. AND THAT TYPE OF HEAD MUST OF HAD A WEAK SPOT WHEN DESIGNED AND FORGED BECAUSE MINE IS SNAPPED IN THE SAME PLACE, NICE OLD RELICS,ZUTPHEN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions