Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year I found a spot of woods of about 2 acres that has just produced an amazing assortment of coins including a Seated Half-VF, 2 Seated Quarters VF & XF, 6 large cents including 3 draped busts, 12 Indians, 2 Barber Quarters, Barber Dime, 1891 Canadian Dime, half real, V Nickel, Buffalos, a nice antique sterling ring and a host of other items. I've gone back again and again and although lean, it keeps producing. I've even brought 5 different detector buddies to the site too. After dinner last night I had about an hour before dark and figured as it was close I'd give it another shot. Got out of my car, put the loop down to the ground and got a signal. 1865 Indian 6' from the car. I couldn't believe it. Worked real slow and about 10 minutes later got a kind of iffy hit, but worth digging. Pulled a square nail out of the hole. Checked again and still had a signal. Low and behold I had a 2 cent piece. Last time I found a 2 cent piece was more than 30 years ago. They only made them for 9 years and they didn't circulate much. I'm still amazed.

20140801_060713 1865 2 cent and Indian obverse.jpg
20140801_060606 1865 2 cent and Indian reverse.jpg
20140731_194240 2 cent ground.jpg

Upvote 14

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice coins... You always find really good stuff, Congrats.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. I like the 2 cent coin and it looks like it has some nice detail.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cong on the nice finds. I have been hunting for over 30 yrs and I still have not found a 2 cent piece one for my bucket list

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Don........great finds! In the bottom photo is that the 2 cent piece shown? And if so what method did you use to clean it up so beautifully? CarolinaTom put together a small electrolysis setup and I'm going to set one up too for some small objects and silver coins I cannot get clean using common cleaning methods.

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Don........great finds! In the bottom photo is that the 2 cent piece shown? And if so what method did you use to clean it up so beautifully? CarolinaTom put together a small electrolysis setup and I'm going to set one up too for some small objects and silver coins I cannot get clean using common cleaning methods.

The coin had a nice patina on it so I just used my fingernail with some soap and water to scrape off the dirt. I've since hit it with some hot peroxide and it looks even better. This does NOT work if the coin is corroded as many large are. You end up without any detail left. All depends on what you have to work with. The 1865 Indian looks even better now that the crud is off it.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14: The CW era date adds even more thrill to the discovery . 8-)

How nice would it be to dig a few 1865 seated liberty silvers near that hot spot ??? HH !

CMDdawg

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
love em, awesome finds

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool! I dug a 1864 2 cent at a colonial site I stumbled upon in a cornfield last spring, probly one of my favorite coins yet.

Yours looks to be in great shape, nice deep green patina

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really cool! I dug a 1864 2 cent at a colonial site I stumbled upon in a cornfield last spring, probly one of my favorite coins yet.

Yours looks to be in great shape, nice deep green patina

Thanks cjon. The one I found more than 30 years ago was quite porous and didn't have a nice appearance like this one.

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Looks like you may have stumbled onto a picnic grove. One of the best places in the world for a coin hunter. I love the fact you found the Indian so close to the the car. That means you will probably find more. Thanks, for sharing. I love the 2 centers. When I found my first one I didn't even know they existed.

Don
HH

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Looks like you may have stumbled onto a picnic grove. One of the best places in the world for a coin hunter. I love the fact you found the Indian so close to the the car. That means you will probably find more. Thanks, for sharing. I love the 2 centers. When I found my first one I didn't even know they existed.

Don
HH

That's exactly what I was thinking. Nice coins, Don and nice cleaning on them.

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be so cool to dig a two center, congrats on that beauty!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread