Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, the pyramid thing is a bow/arrow!

I'm saying the X isn't an X at all I don't think, it's meant to show the way the mountains seem to "cross" when looking at them from a certain angle, and I think the bottom of the X was placed there to make it look more like an X, and to throw people off. Here's a picture with it drawn out making it easier to see. Is there a place where you can stand that the mountains look like this? I think this is the reason for the "eye" to the upper left of the turtle, meaning "look here". Plus you got the turtle tail involved...

Attachments

• mountains-hilighted.jpg
    mountains-hilighted.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 764
OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
HMMMMM, the right side of that is actually an arrow, i know it isn't chalked in that photo because i missed it....duh, if you look close, at the top of the mts is the point and at the edge of the rock is the flight. so maybe go up that mt.... very interesting.

OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
boattow,

how about the bottom of the x is two smaller creeks feeding into the larger one? hmmmmm, gonna have to go have a look around, I know of two place that have two creeks running down a draw sorta like this, gonna have to see if it matches.

T

TreasureTales

arko, I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here. First, very interesting rock. Now, would you be willing to tell us which state you are in? And were the tree carvings (which I think you mentioned in another thread) made on aspen? Or juniper? Or what type of tree, please.

The rock MAY be some kind of treasure map. I don't know. But looking at the "quality" of the markings, I'd say it was done by someone with little experience. Most Native American rock art shows great skill/experience by the makers. And this rock would be a petroglyph, not a pictograph, so let's get that straight if we may, for conversations' sake. Petroglyphs being carved or pecked into stone, pictographs being painted onto stone.

I am going to guess, purely an educated guess now, that the stone relates the story of a native's/first people's hunt or walkabout if you will. He went (first arrow) and went (second arrow with bar at the front) until he stopped at a spring. There he shot a large turtle. He probably ate it. He also saw a large snake. He crossed a couple of mountains and some streams. It's like his coming out or bar mitzfah (sp) and he recorded it for posterity.

Through the years, I have seen many hundreds of individual petroglyph (and pictograph) symbols and they seem to be explaining events, good places for water, game animals, etc. They are fairly straightforward depictions of things Native Americans saw.

So, although it's always exciting to find petroglyphs, I don't believe it depicts a buried stash, but it all depends on where you are. It's hard to speculate without location information. Please don't provide anything like the nearest city, but the state would be most helpful. Thanks.

I ask about the tree carvings because depending on where you are and what types of trees they are, the carvings could have been done by Basque sheepherders. Their carvings are well known in Western states.

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
I know where these markings are located and they are KGC. They refer to treasure.
Boattow

OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
The trees I mentioned are not carved, they are "hoot owl" or indian trail trees, and they are oak.

Trying not to be too defensive, but when and where have you seen native american glyphs that incorporated letters and numbers?

Thanks Boattow for your vote of confidence!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread