2 Gold rings & 1 CrackerJack toy

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
thumbnail.jpgthumbnail (3).jpgthumbnail (2).jpg

Today was the first of three negative low tides, I plan on hitting all three. Normally I use an Equinox but recently brushed off one of my Excalibur's and its been paying off. I think I was getting too comfortable and it was time to change up. I found these way off shore where its too deep to wade except during a hard off shore wind and a negative tide, or diving during the season. Both have marks on them but there not Karat marks so I would guess both are 10K by the condition they were in when I found them. The picture is after I cleaned them up. The Crackerjack toy was close to shore and screaming loud, hard to believe any could miss that one. The image on the 1925 ring is a cat and it isn't as crazy looking as it looks in the picture.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 34
Congrats on your finds, the gold signet ring looks to be early 1900. :occasion14:
Your Cracker Jack Toy looks to be an early one as well.
Dave

In 1896, Fritz and his brother Louis, doing business as F.W. Rueckheim & Bro., officially began selling its now-famous candy-coated popcorn and peanut snack: Cracker Jack. The Rueckheims knew they had something special; they trademarked the Cracker Jack name and copyrighted the snack’s slogan: “The More You Eat, The More You Want.” In 1908, Cracker Jack experienced a surge of popularity when songwriter Jack Norworth (along with composer Albert Von Tilzer) wrote the song “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.” The free publicity in the line, “Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack!” sent sales skyrocketing and would forever link the snack to America’s pastime.

Cracker Jack is a brand made famous by its “prize inside” marketing tactic and its connection with baseball. Today’s fans appreciate the snack’s rich history and its nostalgic prizes, advertisements and packages. Most people agree, 1912 was the year that Cracker Jack began including prizes inside their boxes. The company didn’t include prizes right from the beginning, however. Starting in 1910, Cracker Jack premiums (which included such items as silverware, sporting goods, toys, games and other useful “household goods”) were sent to distributors to dispense to Cracker Jack buyers who would turn in coupons that were randomly inserted in some of the packages.

In 1912, the company began including prizes in every package. The prizes were not wrapped, so collectors should note that contact with the sweet, sticky candy affected the condition of the prizes. Distributing series of prizes, rather than individual prizes, was a move that proved to be a marketing genius; buyers would come back again and again for the treat and the prizes in an effort to complete the sets.

not a cracker jack toy that I know of

its a Give and take gambling top
my uncle told me yrs ago (he has passed) that you would ante in a pot
then take turns spinning - there are a few varieties
mine has P1 P2 T1 T2, T ALL
P - stands for - put
T stands for - take
T A - stands for take all
if someone gets TA they get whole pot and everyone has to ante again

It took me some time to find the book that a friend has but here is the cover of the catalog and the pages that reference the toy.

thumbnail (7).jpgthumbnail (8).jpgthumbnail (10).jpgthumbnail (9).jpg

Congrats on your finds, the gold signet ring looks to be early 1900. :occasion14:
Your Cracker Jack Toy looks to be an early one as well.
Dave

In 1896, Fritz and his brother Louis, doing business as F.W. Rueckheim & Bro., officially began selling its now-famous candy-coated popcorn and peanut snack: Cracker Jack. The Rueckheims knew they had something special; they trademarked the Cracker Jack name and copyrighted the snack’s slogan: “The More You Eat, The More You Want.” In 1908, Cracker Jack experienced a surge of popularity when songwriter Jack Norworth (along with composer Albert Von Tilzer) wrote the song “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.” The free publicity in the line, “Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack!” sent sales skyrocketing and would forever link the snack to America’s pastime.

Cracker Jack is a brand made famous by its “prize inside” marketing tactic and its connection with baseball. Today’s fans appreciate the snack’s rich history and its nostalgic prizes, advertisements and packages. Most people agree, 1912 was the year that Cracker Jack began including prizes inside their boxes. The company didn’t include prizes right from the beginning, however. Starting in 1910, Cracker Jack premiums (which included such items as silverware, sporting goods, toys, games and other useful “household goods”) were sent to distributors to dispense to Cracker Jack buyers who would turn in coupons that were randomly inserted in some of the packages.

In 1912, the company began including prizes in every package. The prizes were not wrapped, so collectors should note that contact with the sweet, sticky candy affected the condition of the prizes. Distributing series of prizes, rather than individual prizes, was a move that proved to be a marketing genius; buyers would come back again and again for the treat and the prizes in an effort to complete the sets.

Looks like around 1910.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back