2020 Looking for suggestions for Metal Detectors for GA

Props Master

Apr 30, 2020
Decatur, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Ive been building my own gear now for about 3 years. I'm now wanting to go away from the water and do some detecting. I live in Atlanta GA. not far from Dahlonega. The soil here ranges from brown dirt to red clay. The types of gold here will be small (very small) and more then likely shallow on bedrock and rocky areas.
Looking for detectors between $700-$1000 range
From my research I'm looking at

MINELAB EQUINOX 800 SERIES, 11" coil, wireless headset, waterproof, 5k-40k =$900 +add pro pointer-35 = +$110 total $1000
MAKRO GOLD KRUZER METAL DETECTOR, with 10" & 7.5 coils, wireless Headset, waterproof, (61kHz 0nly) =$640 (pin pointer?$)

If any one could help with input in these choices or recommendations of others I’m missing I would greatly appreciate it. My head is overwhelmed with the small details since all the reviews online seem to love each one of these.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
P

Props Master

Apr 30, 2020
Decatur, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for responding. I like the 800 bundles also. Do you know the difference between the 800 & 800 IQ? I’ve looked on
One but can’t seem to find a good answer.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone. I'm new here. Ive been building my own gear now for about 3 years. I'm now wanting to go away from the water and do some detecting. I live in Atlanta GA. not far from Dahlonega. The soil here ranges from brown dirt to red clay. The types of gold here will be small (very small) and more then likely shallow on bedrock and rocky areas.
Looking for detectors between $700-$1000 range
From my research I'm looking at

MINELAB EQUINOX 800 SERIES, 11" coil, wireless headset, waterproof, 5k-40k =$900 +add pro pointer-35 = +$110 total $1000
MAKRO GOLD KRUZER METAL DETECTOR, with 10" & 7.5 coils, wireless Headset, waterproof, (61kHz 0nly) =$640 (pin pointer?$)

If any one could help with input in these choices or recommendations of others I’m missing I would greatly appreciate it. My head is overwhelmed with the small details since all the reviews online seem to love each one of these.

Thanks in advance!
I have the Makro gr its basically the same thing as the kruzer and I wouldn't trade it in for a monster1k. The gold kruzer is what the monster1k could of been. The monster1k is a more dedicated gold machine but only bc its lacking in other options, its basically high dollar turn on and go machine. Gonna catch some hell from that, but if you didn't already know

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Props Master

Apr 30, 2020
Decatur, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Grumpie, and all others that responded. After lots and lots of discussions and watching reviews and comments, as well as calling Bart at Big Boy Toys, I ended up deciding on the Minelab 800. It has strong reviews for gold and still has options for running in conditions in GA I’ll be detecting in.

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/pr...bundle-with-pinpointer-digging-tool-and-more/

It was the detector I decided on first, then researched every deal possible on line. I think this is the best bundle for me. I did want the one with the 35- pro Pinpointer but it’s out of stock. So I figure I can order the 35 when it’s in stock.
I’m glad I am now in the forum and will be active with all my prospecting days to come.
Thanks again and Happy Digging.

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Grumpie, and all others that responded. After lots and lots of discussions and watching reviews and comments, as well as calling Bart at Big Boy Toys, I ended up deciding on the Minelab 800. It has strong reviews for gold and still has options for running in conditions in GA I’ll be detecting in.

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/pr...bundle-with-pinpointer-digging-tool-and-more/

It was the detector I decided on first, then researched every deal possible on line. I think this is the best bundle for me. I did want the one with the 35- pro Pinpointer but it’s out of stock. So I figure I can order the 35 when it’s in stock.
I’m glad I am now in the forum and will be active with all my prospecting days to come.
Thanks again and Happy Digging.
Good choice

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I am also in N. Georgia, near Cleveland. How have your detectors worked with all the rocks in this area? Mine can not discriminate the rocks, so very tedious. I’m detecting some old logging roads and homestead sites, panning not detecting for gold. Hope you are successful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread