Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I have a garrett 2500gti and was wondering who else has one and what there opinion is on it. I have had it for over a year, and have yet to dig a coin over 6 inches. I have made some nice finds with it but in my opinion have found nothing that my old detector a gtax550 couldnt have found. Maybe its me. But I have tried everything that I can think of and some things that other people have mentioned, but still am not fond of the machine. Dont get me wrong the machine is very simple to run and pinpoints very well. But as far as depth goes and the size imaging I am not impressed. The size to me is very rarely correct even when I am directly over it. My friend has the same machine and his size imaging is the same way. So I dont think its just one machine. They either say 12 inches and big or they have the cone affect. Once in a while its right but not very often. Just wondering what everyone else thought and hoping for some suggestions. But if somthing doesent change pretty quick I am defenitly going to buy a different machine, and I really hate to cause I have used garrett for about 5 years now. Hope to hear from you. Thank you.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't speak from personal experience, but a hunting buddy of mine uses one and really likes it. We have compared signals on numerous occasions. I use a fisher CZ6 with a 10" coil.
I don't think he was getting the depth that I was getting, but it was still pretty good.
He really liked the imaging feature. I remember once he got a signal that read too big and it turned out to be a pocket watch.
I think it has very good potential for finding rings and here is why: Pulltabs read like a pulltab would and they image as coin size targets. Gold rings read like pulltabs too, but...they read smaller than coin size targets.
He has also done fairly well finding coins such as copper nickel Indian head cents, where my detector reads them as pulltabs.
I would stick with it, and get to know it. I really think it has some nice features that can work to your advantage.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have doubts as to the performance of the unit you can always send it to the maker for a check. Just remember not even every detector of the model performs exactly the same. Also remember advertised depth is usually the best you can expect under the best conditions.

A word on depth indication. Most detectors are set up for giving depth on a object diameter of a nickel. So a larger object may appear shallower and a smaller object deeper than it is. Also a lot of variables effect the reading you get. The lie of the object, how long it has been there, the soil conditions.

Talk with the maker they are usually very helpfull and Good Luck.

Ed Donovan

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your imaging feature isn't correct, you definately need your detector recalibrated. Mine is right on the money and I rely on it a lot. It is the one advantage I think the GTI 2500 has over some of the other price wise similar detectors. Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hey Mainer. i have a gti 2500 that i got about 3 months ago. i have been avoiding writing a review so far, because in all honesty i really don't feel that i know the machine well enough yet to evaluate it. in the short time that i have been using it, i have found the size id to be fairly accurate. i rarely get the cone signal you are talking about, only when the coil is not centered over the target. as far as depth, i have not dug a coin at over 6 inches either, but i have only been using it for a limited time, and i rarely get deep coin sized objects when i go out to hunt. ( it is debateable why that is).so far on the deep large target signals that i have dug, they have indeed been large deep targets. i would have to agree with Monty about having the machine re-calibrated. its worth a try considering the investment you have made.it may make all the difference. i wish i could help you beyond this, but like i said.......i am still learning the gti 2500 myself. good luck with it............one other thing i thought i would add, i dig all "B" and "C" size targets that are strong and repeatable. sometimes those "C" size targets are larger rings and jewelry.

OP
OP
mainer

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the repleis and the help. It may need to be recalobrated. THe machine pinpoints right on the money but like I said it rarely is right. At this point I dont pay any attention to the size. Its just aggravating. We will see I am going to give it some more time but may end up buying a different machine and like I said I hate too I have a lot of money in this one and I have used garrett for 5 years or so. Will let you know what happens, I'll give them another call after the holiday weekend. Have a happy easter.
MAiner

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem with the 2500 is that I bought an ACE 250 as a backup unit. The little ACE is so darn good I don't need the features of the 2500 most of the time! When the chips are down I go with the 2500 and the results are usually very satisfactory. I think most of us expect too much from our detectors and should back off and realize it's just a machine and our results are largely dependant on the operator. Monty

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Not sure if you will read this as it has been a few months since you guys were posting on here.

I am an owner the GTI 1500 and my best friend hunts with the 2500. We have both made a few digs on coins that were about 7inches. However, in these cases the detector sounded good, but there was no size indication at all and it was hard to pinpoint. In fact, the pinpoint meter would just barely go up (maybe at 1/3 of its full strength). Whereever it was the stroungest, I dug a bit bigger plug. After the plug was out, you may get a better signal, but the pinpointing is much stronger.

I have only seen one person in the last few years on any Garrett Forum that is claiming to find coins deeper than 6-7 inches. He claims to find coins at 10-14" deep. However, I stand firm in saying "NO FRICKEN WAY." My friend and I have combined for about 10,000 coins in the last 3 years and we mostly hunt old places. I'm telling you that these machines will not do it. If you are going to dig deeper coins with that machine, I guarantee that you will be digging very weak trashy signals in order to max out the depth at maybe 8 or 9 inches.

10-14" equals B.S.

Deerhunter24

i.e. I have seen a machine that two of our other friends own that will seek out deep coins REGULARLY at 7-12" deep. That is not B.S. as I have seen this several times over the past year. However, it is the only detector that I KNOW will do it. I have never seen another detector that has done it so I do not know if another exists. But be prepared to spend a lot of money, probably 400-500 dollars more than the GTI 2500.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never too late to get in your two cents worth. With my GTI 2500 on discrimination mode I have easily located and dug a target at 9". It was a clad quarter. I have often and consistently located and dug targets at 7", many of them dimes. I dug a silver Roosie just last week at a measured 7" in the discrimination mode. It is supposed to get better depth with the detector set in the all metal mode and/or by using the larger coil. I have never needed to get much deeper than 7" so I haven't done any serious testing of either. I did recover a silver earring at about 10" in the beach sand with the larger coil but it was very hard to pinpoint and I persisted until I found it. I didn't measure the depth precisely but it was the length of a 7" digging tool plus a fist! Most of the ground around here has been so hard with the drought it's really hard to dig deep targets. That combined with a layer of clay about six inches deep really creates a problem. Luckily the clay seems to stop some of the coins from going much deeper. All of the deeper coins I have recovered were strong signals, easily pinpointed with the exception of the silver earring previously mentioned and all but it were with the standard coil. I really believe that if one were able to hunt in the all metal mode with the GTI 2500, targets deeper than 6 or 7 inches would be fairly easy to find. It's not a problem of lacking depth in my opinion but more of a problem with more shallow covering signals. Several times I have removed shallow or surface junk and gone back and found some pretty darn deep targets that was masked by the junk. I'm not just talking coins, let that be clear. And that is no B.S.! I'm sure there are more expensive "deeper" seeking machines available for several hundred dollars more, but let's face it, who really needs that kind of depth? I don't as I am a mere hobbyist. If I were a pro depending on my bacon for the month perhaps I would go that route? As for me my GTI 2500 does all the work I need for now. Monty

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
I up graded from a GTA 1000 to a GTI 2500 when they first came out. But I had problems with it, and had to send it back to the factory to get check out. It was having false signals problems. I sent it back about four or five times, with on help, so I traded it off to them for a 1500, and every thing is fine know. I like the 1500 better because it is litter, and I don't need the non motion mode. I have a white gold master 2, and a minelab 2100 for prospecting. I notch out from the 0 to 2.5 and dig all the rest, because $1.00 gold coins can go down to 3, and $2.50 come in a round pull tabs, and you can get all them old cartridge. My size image work's good. Far as depth in southern cal. I can buried a penny at 5" to 6" and still get it. But when I was in Ireland 2002 I used the stander 9.5 coil, The deeps 1/2 penny 1-1/6" OD. was around 8" deep. But later I got the 10"x14" coil and it gave me about 1-1/2" deeper, with that coil I got a 1775 1/2 penny 9" deep, and a button 1-5/16 OD. 10"deep, and a 1813 10 pence silver bank token 7/8" OD. at 8-1/2" deep. I dug up around 35 coins and 20 button and other artifact and brass buckle some down to 12" but they were bigger then the coins. In 2004 I went back With a Minelab explorer using the 10" factory coil and I found more then the first trip, but no deeper, but that don't mean anything, there may not be any coins any deeper. I have teased the Explorer against the 1500 and the Explorer is much better. It goes deeper and you can pick out coins better in heavy trash better. But it cost a lot more and a big learning crave.

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Deerhunter24 said

I'm telling you that these machines will not do it. If you are going to dig deeper coins with that machine, I guarantee that you will be digging very weak trashy signals in order to max out the depth at maybe 8 or 9 inches.

10-14" equals B.S

I'm detecting with Garrett Detector since 1991, with a CXII and now with a GTI2500 and I'd found in the beach a silver ring at 18" deep,....NOT B.S. using a 12-1/2" coil and the CXII. Don't suprise to find deeper coins with the GTI2500.

Amona

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I was through with this subject, but I guess not. Here is my delima with my 2500. I get too many targets that show as a huge item at 12" and the detector gives out an overload signal. I dug a few of those signals just to see what it was and it was junk, usually an aluminum can or nothing at all! I think when the detector reaches it's max ability it defaults to that image? Anyway, I know there are not that many huge 12" deep targets in some of the areas I hunt. It gets annoying unless you force yourself to ignore it, especially bothersome when relic hunting. I have seen too many posts regarding same to know it's just me. Monty

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Monty said:
My problem with the 2500 is that I bought an ACE 250 as a backup unit. The little ACE is so darn good I don't need the features of the 2500 most of the time! When the chips are down I go with the 2500 and the results are usually very satisfactory. I think most of us expect too much from our detectors and should back off and realize it's just a machine and our results are largely dependant on the operator. Monty

i know this hasnt been brought up in a while buts it ok.

As far as what Monty was saying about the operator i would say thats probly a good 80% of successful hunting, after your research of course. Having good ears is a very valuable thing when it comes to hunting. I conducted a little experiment in my yard just to see how things came in with my 2500. about 6 months ago i burried a silver quarter about 12" down. i didnt mark it or anything but i had a pretty good idea of the area it was in. so here i was 6 months later going out and trying to find it using the 9 1/2" coil with the discrim. set to coins. i did hear it, it was very very faint, but i did hear it. when i pped in dis. it showed it was coin size at 8" also it had to be perfectly over it to pp it since it was so far down. then i decided to try the all metal mode to see just how much better it made it without having to deal with the discrim. it came in like it was at 2". it didnt have the bell tone of course but it definitely told me it was there.

so pretty much what im getting at is now matter what machine you have, you have to listen. not everything is goind to be as cut and clear as a quarter just below the surface of the ground. also if you havent experimented with your machine that may be a good thing to do cause itll help you understand it a bit better.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread