TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3?" Knife River Flint Paleo Preform?

Was out looking with my buddy today and found a dandy!!
It is 3.25" long and super thin.....I have yet to figure out what to call it. It looks a heck of a lot like an unfinished Clovis in my opinion. It doesn't have any grinding along the base and it seems like it could use a little pressure flaking along the blade edges.
What do you folks think?
McLean County, ND

Also pictured is a somewhat crude preform I found nearby. 20210908_160036.jpg 20210908_153848.jpg 20210908_153703.jpg 20210908_153716.jpg 20210908_153710.jpg 20210908_155925.jpg 20210908_155946.jpg

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be way off base but being thin I would assume it would be that much more difficult to flute I kinda wonder if it?s an unfluted type more so than a Clovis, regardless that?s a stunner

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That third and fifth photo show a small beginning of fluting at the base. My thoughts are the it wasn't turning out what they wanted and discontinued working on it. Not saying that the tossed it on purpose, but may have just lost those pieces during a stay in the area or during a hunt. Very well may have been intended to be a clovis in the beginning.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do have to have a little thickness to take a flute. A edge shot could maybe lean us one way or another. It's a fine blade and a super artifact no matter if it's finished or not. Like Reaper said it could have been missed placed. God knows when I was knapping a lot I may chip out a dozen knife blades and 1 get lost in the flaking pile. Super find!!!!!!!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That chalky spot looks like it goes into the biface a bit (light colored spot on the other side if I am not mistaken.). The maker may have just decided to keep a nice piece of KRF vs trying to flute into that "knot" and breaking the piece.

How thin is thin? (You find Folsom, so you know what a good baseline for thin is.)

OP
OP
TundraPlugger

TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I?m with you on a unfinished point
Can?t say Clovis
Looks beyond a preform stage
But not in a complete stage. IMO
Really like the krf. Cool find
Thanks Up-North! I'm not convinced it is Clovis either but I'm fine saying it is a very late stage point preform.....I am baffled for what type it would be.

OP
OP
TundraPlugger

TundraPlugger

Jan 27, 2019
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That chalky spot looks like it goes into the biface a bit (light colored spot on the other side if I am not mistaken.). The maker may have just decided to keep a nice piece of KRF vs trying to flute into that "knot" and breaking the piece.

How thin is thin? (You find Folsom, so you know what a good baseline for thin is.)
It is Folsom Ultrathin thin. It has a couple spots where it is a bit thicker but not by much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread