6" DD EXcelerator / EQ 2 Pro Searchcoil

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
6" DD EXcelerator / EQ 2 Pro Searchcoil

Anyone using one of these? I recently got one and at first didn't like it. However, after I used it a bit, I really don't want to go back to my larger coil unless I'm in a wide open trash free area. It's a really hot little coil, I've pulled coins at around 6" and I'm really just a newbie as I just started hunting this year. Opinions appreciated!

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Re: 6" DD EXcelerator / EQ 2 Pro Searchcoil

Hello Keith,
I'm glad you are settling down (like me) and learning the benefits of the SE fair out shine the negatives! :)

I have the 4.5 x 7 Excelerator and love it. I've got an 8" coming in and have heard a lot of good things about both the 5 and 6 inchers. I think the main thing to consider, regarding any coil is one must use it and use it a lot to get use to it. I find every time I change coils with the SE it's a learning experience but it's getting to be a whole lot more fun.

Good hunting!
GRB

OP
OP
keithinvestigations

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE

GoldenRoyBoy said:
Hello Keith,
I'm glad you are settling down (like me) and learning the benefits of the SE fair out shine the negatives! :)

I have the 4.5 x 7 Excelerator and love it. I've got an 8" coming in and have heard a lot of good things about both the 5 and 6 inchers. I think the main thing to consider, regarding any coil is one must use it and use it a lot to get use to it. I find every time I change coils with the SE it's a learning experience but it's getting to be a whole lot more fun.

Good hunting!
GRB

Hey GRB, I noticed that today when I switched out. I was doing fine with my 6" and decided that I wanted to cover more area so I went back to my 10". Big mistake, I had really started to flow with my 6" and when I switched back I was doing terrible. I am feeling much, much more comfortable with the SE. I suppose I have around 50 to 60 hrs. One of the biggest breakthru's I've had was going to the BEACH. I think that may be the best advice for anyone starting out. It's soo much easier to operate and that's where I started getting comfortable. This week my sunray probe is coming in so I am going to start digging more questionable targets. I've found that without the probe, once I dig a huge 6 or 8" hole, the target could still be lower but the detector isn't picking the signal up anymore. Anyway just babbling, talk to you later.

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Hello Keith,
I'd posted a "Help" message two weeks ago regarding how changing coils effects my SE; no one responded. I believe it's a common dilemma. I suggest dedicating yourself to using "ONE" coil per hunt until you learn how to reset SENSITIVITY-GAIN for each coil's characteristic. Anothor idea is to utilize USER A for one coil size and USER B for another coil size. Be sure to SAVE your settings each time you make a change. One negative; varying soil conditions may require SENSITIVITY-GAIN to be adjusted. I suggest avoiding using AUTO SENSITIVITY. You'll loose depth if you do. I'm on SENSITIVITY-32 --- GAIN-8 most all the time now.

The beach is a good place to learn and the scenery's generally nice too. Although, like me many of the pretty people have gained a little weight. :)

Regarding SunRay's probe, it's another coil and I use it also. SENSITIVITY-GAIN settings effects it greatly. One thing I found that helps (whether using the main coil or Probe) is to slow down the swing. If you get a lot of noise, you are swinging either too fast or have not properly set noise cancel or both.

Question: are you now hunting in ALL METAL MODE? If not, I'd strongly suggest it. At present, I'm utilizing USER-A for MENU-AUDIO-SOUNDS-CONDUCT and USER B for MENU-AUDIO-SOUNDS-FERROUS. Each setting certainly has it own sounds; I personally like CONDUCT choosing now to stick only with it so as not to cloud the SOUND issue. My experience, one is no better than the other however. Forget all the hype regarding the discrimination patterns. Minelab would have done best not dedicating so much of their manuel to mindless theories which do not always work well in the real world. To find gold-nickel one must dig pull tabs and such. I have found Miss Little S E lies a lot; bad girl! :)

One more thing; if you have trouble pinpointing, try raising your main coil up 6 inches to a foot off the ground going the four directions above the target, centering the target beneath the coil. This procedure still works with the DD coil although not quite as well as with the mono coils. It's something I learned a long time ago.

See, RAMBLING'S" okay; I do it all the time. We are here to learn and share our knowledge; right? :)

GRB

OP
OP
keithinvestigations

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE

GoldenRoyBoy said:
Question: are you now hunting in ALL METAL MODE? GRB

Hey GRB, yes I went to AM several weeks back. I have to use Ferrous tones though because conduct is just way too many high pitched sounds for me to interpret. I usually run the highest sensitivity I can get away with before becoming too unstable. I tried running my limits and varibility at 10 but I can't stand that really high pitched sound it just really rings my bell. 8 on both seems to be good for me. I keep volume and thres at a reseasonably low but not too low that I can't hear and gain around 6 / 7. I can't believe I taking like this, I'm speaking SE geek speak! Pinpointing is no longer a problem, I can do it with ease. I really feel like I have came a lloonngg way from where I was when I first broke my shiney new SE out of the box. Now it's got dirt in its crevases (I do clean out my cover so it won't false on me) and I'm starting to see the foam grip get a few nicks in it. I totally agree with you on the indepth discrimantion crap that the manual spends like half its pages on. I can see know that the more you discriminate the less you really know what's going on down there and one could be digging a lot of false signals and overlooking the good iffy ones. I'm really growing fond of my six inch because its soo rare to actually hit a place with a low amount of trash. Many times with the 10" I've found myself cover three or four targets and uanble to really interpret what I'm hearing. I just found some curious objects on my property today. Take a look at them and see what you think they could be http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,89680.0.html

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
!

Hey Keith!
Talking, writing, sharing experiences certainly has helped me understand this little beast of a detector a tad better. You obviously are improving very quick with your SE as well. But, just when I think I'm learning my little gal she does a reversal! :)

I think the best thing anyone can do, regarding th SE and settings is to find what works best for them and stick to it. There is so much knowledge out there, one can't absorb it all, easily confused by it. And, although many, like me are trying to do the right thing due to my own excitement, telling others what I have found to be true pertaining to the SE fact of the matter is, you must discover most of it for yourself. I;m finding I'm not wasting too much time anymore worrying-tinkering with the settings for the grounds we have here in Southern Colorado. Our soil is heavily mineralized and my settings are working pretty good "for me". :)

One thing you mentioned regarding SE'S Page 60 TONE ADJUSTING AUDIO PITCH-VARIABILITY and/or LIMITS.
I too set VAR maxed at 10, wishing to HEAR the the change in target characteristics. However, my experience, setting LIMITS at 10 does produce those "SHARP" tones you made reference to. You may wish to play with the LIMIT settings a little more to soften the sharp sounds?

Keep swinging my MD'ing buddy!
GRB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread