Other

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smack mine on rocks all the time, Minelab Equinox is a proven great machine, but you broke yours just "tapping" a rock and its not your fault at all so lets blame the manufacture...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, you need to lay down the law and exert some discipline on your detector. Give it a stern talking to and tell it to stop tapping rocks or you will banish it to the closet. Some detectors just don't behave, sheesh.

If it was a weakened coil ear (known issue) ask for a warranty replacement. Equinox has a pretty good 3-year warranty and ML service has been good about honoring it. Get educated on your consumer rights (i.e., know your warranty - ALL Equinoxes are still under warranty BTW), run all avenues to ground and if you still get no joy, then come back and whine about it.

Last edited:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
If you play golf with it , well Yea.! Just kidding.
your coil is under warranty!.
When you tighten the coil too tight the ears are bent to the breaking point. I’ll bet if anyone of you look at it right now they are bending, look close.
ill re post this.
This will get them straight.
Ears
If some tightens the bolt to tight (snap! If someone used the coil to move debris (snap! . If someone used the Nox as a cane to get up (snap!.
If you look at the ears and they are bending inward then it’s too tight.
If you have the bolt really loose and wiggle the coil and it wiggles do this.
Take a one gallon plastic milk jug and make spacers the same a size the rubber tier drop washers and place them behind the washers. But when you do do that you will have to put some silicon lubercsnt on the shaft to get it back in between then ears..
It will slip in easily but no lubricant good luck.
Doing that they are not seen and the wobble is gone and you do not have to tighten the bolt so tight.
Doug

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you play golf with it , well Yea.! Just kidding.
your coil is under warranty!.
When you tighten the coil too tight the ears are bent to the breaking point. I’ll bet if anyone of you look at it right now they are bending, look close.
ill re post this.
This will get them straight.
Ears
If some tightens the bolt to tight (snap! If someone used the coil to move debris (snap! . If someone used the Nox as a cane to get up (snap!.
If you look at the ears and they are bending inward then it’s too tight.
If you have the bolt really loose and wiggle the coil and it wiggles do this.
Take a one gallon plastic milk jug and make spacers the same a size the rubber tier drop washers and place them behind the washers. But when you do do that you will have to put some silicon lubercsnt on the shaft to get it back in between then ears..
It will slip in easily but no lubricant good luck.
Doing that they are not seen and the wobble is gone and you do not have to tighten the bolt so tight.
Doug

I did the same thing with the milk jug. It just takes a few minutes.

I do agree with calling ML but be nice. You won't get very far by bad mouthing them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd call Minelab and see what you can do. After the warranty expires, I'd try another machine if or after it breaks out of warranty.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’ve seen coil ear reinforcing thingys sold on eBay if interested. I just try to avoid banging or putting pressure on or over tightening and haven’t broken any since I broke the coil ears off my Omega 8000. Don’t know why they make thin ears on any coil.

OP
OP
bowser

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
Both ears are still attached to the bolt i did not abuse this machine in any way

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pursue it with minelab then. What are you waiting for? Nothing to lose unless you are looking for an excuse just to complain by doing nothing about it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, call Minelab. I'd bet its covered under warranty. I have never been able to break any of my other brand machines. I have tried. And I week whack with them a lot.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both ears are still attached to the bolt i did not abuse this machine in any way
Yes, the ears break off of the coil. They are being flexed with the bolt pulling them together. The part on the shaft is just a bit too narrow causing them to be in a bind. The extra thick washers make up the difference. Now, call ML.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck I had to send my 800 and 600 back to Minelab and they replaced both of them no questions asked. They even sent me a T-shirt because I had problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions