OP
tidetraveler

tidetraveler

Nov 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic Silver sweep!! I wonder what that magnifying glass was used for when it opened up?
I think the magnifying glass was used for orientation competitions where a map wood be used while running.

carcusrex

Jan 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ssssssweeeeeeeet! That is the ideal condition to find. Every beach hunters dream. Storm removing the sand and leaving the goods behind. Just makes me sad from when I remember when I lived in St. Augustine Florida when a storm removed a two foot layer down to the heavy shells and rocks. Boy do I wish I had a detector at that time.

kladdhunden

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing for sure, Iam in sweden too and have been out for like 3 days straight, its the best conditions its been in a long time right now. About the magnifying glass, i have found one just like it in Halland/Halmstad Sweden, it's pretty cool if u can get it to open up,it is one of those u can use for maps or for reading very fineprint on a paper, what it was really used for no idea but i'll post some pictures of mine.

asdasdasd.jpg P7270057.JPG

OP
OP
tidetraveler

tidetraveler

Nov 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing for sure, Iam in sweden too and have been out for like 3 days straight, its the best conditions its been in a long time right now. About the magnifying glass, i have found one just like it in Halland/Halmstad Sweden, it's pretty cool if u can get it to open up,it is one of those u can use for maps or for reading very fineprint on a paper, what it was really used for no idea but i'll post some pictures of mine.

View attachment 914268 View attachment 914269
That's fantastic that you found one as well! Glad to hear someone else is taking advantage of these rare conditions for detecting beach's here.

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt! :icon_thumleft: My only problem: I cringed every time you scraped your sandy finger over the coins! :sadsmiley:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When did Sweden end the minting of silver coins? Just curious.

OP
OP
tidetraveler

tidetraveler

Nov 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt! :icon_thumleft: My only problem: I cringed every time you scraped your sandy finger over the coins! :sadsmiley:
Oh here we go again? Most of these coins are only 40-60% silver and are already in bad shape from laying on the beach for the last 50+ yrs. Rubbing the coin isn't going to hurt them. If it was an old Barber or Seated of course it would not be a good idea to rub the coin.

Lcb24kt

Jan 31, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75, Blisstool, Whites TDI, Whites MXT all pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video! In 3 years of detecting I don't have that many silvers! Wow!

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Well, what can I say?...

F A N T A S T I C!!!! Not only the coins but the artifacts, too. What dates are the coins? I would stay on that beach for some days...

That is a huge "spill" there the beach joggers of yesteryears left on that beach, hahaha!
I vote banner for this find! Take a nice group shot of all your silver, you might need one for the top bar...

The magnifying glass was (and is) used for counting threads in fabrics to determine the quality, try "textile loupes" in google.

OP
OP
tidetraveler

tidetraveler

Nov 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, what can I say?... F A N T A S T I C!!!! Not only the coins but the artifacts, too. What dates are the coins? I would stay on that beach for some days... That is a huge "spill" there the beach joggers of yesteryears left on that beach, hahaha! I vote banner for this find! Take a nice group shot of all your silver, you might need one for the top bar... The magnifying glass was (and is) used for counting threads in fabrics to determine the quality, try "textile loupes" in google.

It's been awhile now but if I remember correctly the coins are range from the 1910's up to the 1960's Thanks so much for the banner vote!

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! The magnifying glass is called a linen tester. They were used to inspect cloth.
The hunt did remind me of my early days of metal detecting in 1970, it was before the schools were
hunted heavily. I paid for my first discriminating detector in just over two hours and that was when silver
was about 3X face and gold around $120 an ounce.
I would love to turn clock back to then. And don't discount the old detectors, they didn't go as deep as now
but would find coins 3" to sometimes 6" and for the most part the discrimination was just as good.
Actually, I still like listening to my detectors and learning what they telling me better than watching
a target ID#.
HH, jeweler21

Last edited:
OP
OP
tidetraveler

tidetraveler

Nov 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! The magnifying glass is called a linen tester. They were used to inspect cloth. The hunt did remind me of my early days of metal detecting in 1970, it was before the schools were hunted heavily. I paid for my first discriminating detector in just over two hours and that was when silver was about 3X face and gold around $120 an ounce. I would love to turn clock back to then. And don't discount the old detectors, they didn't go as deep as now but would find coins 3" to sometimes 6" and for the most part the discrimination was just as good. Actually, I still like listening to my detectors and learning what they telling me better than watching a target ID#. HH, jeweler21

I'm living in the past at present here in Sweden. Metal detecting is not real popular so I don't have much competition and often find virgin land. Although the mxt pro is not old, it's not a modern machine either but I'm perfectly happy with it and in no hurry to upgrade just yet. Thanks for the ID. on that magnifying glass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread