What's new

96% done the restoration of my finds cabinet. What does your display look like??

RatherBeDigging

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2020
Messages
618
Reaction score
3,306
Golden Thread
3
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore mostly or oversized coil on equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This Hamilton mfg co printers cabinet was a lot of work to restore. It was very dirty, a little banged up in places. They are very solid and made of oak. All the drawers for multiple cabinets were in a pile at huge warehouse of industrial salvage furniture ect. Was a multi person task finding drawers that all had the same pulls. I only wanted 5 drawers with the compartments. The drawers in a lot of Hamilton cabinets are interchangeable as whole drawers of one size font would move around departments at a printing operation. These days doing finish removal on cabinets like this isn't quick. Fortunately I had half a jug of pre EPA ban dichloromethane based stripper around. Got to be really careful with that stuff and wear ppe, be outdoors and collect all the residual waste because it's hazardous.

*all brass tags are new
*4 of 5 divided drawers have come apart to remove ink dust saturated liner paper and hand sand the dividers. (Photo with clamps is putting one back together again)
*all other drawers were sanded to remove ink dust and or glued in fifty paper liner.
*pulls were media blasted and powered coated
*I built a hinged drawer stop that can be locked to prevent drawers from being opened. On right edge of cabinet.
 

Attachments

  • 20240709_172713.webp
    20240709_172713.webp
    948.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20240709_190152.webp
    20240709_190152.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • 20240709_190225.webp
    20240709_190225.webp
    632.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230402_133645.webp
    20230402_133645.webp
    574.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20240622_141137.webp
    20240622_141137.webp
    625.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 20240709_172819.webp
    20240709_172819.webp
    740.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
That is so cool! Very nice work!
 
That just sucks 😕

That I'm so darn green around my gills drooling over that cabinet.
Top shelf quality 👌
Well done
 
and here I sit with my stuff in shoe boxes. well done sir.
 
That just sucks 😕

That I'm so darn green around my gills drooling over that cabinet.
Top shelf quality 👌
Well done
Thank you. These cabinets are out there. Though it's a lot of effort to restore one. They are very solid and heavy oak very much a multi person job moving one even after removing drawers.
 
This Hamilton mfg co printers cabinet was a lot of work to restore. It was very dirty, a little banged up in places. They are very solid and made of oak. All the drawers for multiple cabinets were in a pile at huge warehouse of industrial salvage furniture ect. Was a multi person task finding drawers that all had the same pulls. I only wanted 5 drawers with the compartments. The drawers in a lot of Hamilton cabinets are interchangeable as whole drawers of one size font would move around departments at a printing operation. These days doing finish removal on cabinets like this isn't quick. Fortunately I had half a jug of pre EPA ban dichloromethane based stripper around. Got to be really careful with that stuff and wear ppe, be outdoors and collect all the residual waste because it's hazardous.

*all brass tags are new
*4 of 5 divided drawers have come apart to remove ink dust saturated liner paper and hand sand the dividers. (Photo with clamps is putting one back together again)
*all other drawers were sanded to remove ink dust and or glued in fifty paper liner.
*pulls were media blasted and powered coated
*I built a hinged drawer stop that can be locked to prevent drawers from being opened. On right edge of cabinet.
Awesome.
 
Great Work on Cabinet, and Nice Collection!
 
Great Work on Cabinet, and Nice Collection!
Thank you. I mostly detect. I mudlark sometimes. If I accidentally get on a shallow bottle dump or trash/ash pit while detecting I'll dig it thought. Waiting for the fall, early winter so I can go back to large ash dump that sad old iron came from along with some of the bottles on the top of display cabinet.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom