A Dream Hunt for Me!!!

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have said it before, but LC's in Michigan are hard to come by. Settlers didn't start in lower Michigan until the 1830's and it took years to get a good population going. I found 2 LC's last year and was pretty content with that. I have been on a pretty good roll and had 3 LC's so far this year. That is until last evening when a little of my winter research payed off on an old homesite. This one is a field site and I wanted to get to it before the field got planted. Earlier yesterday we hit an old homesite and didn't dig much but I pulled an 1889 IHP at the last second. After returning home I decided I wanted to hit another site and chose this one. I actually have a picture (drawing) of this homesite and know that the house was built in 1838 and was gone by the 1870's. The owner was fairly prominent and I had high hopes that I could get a good coin or two out of this one. Anyway, I got a few relics as well but the coins are as follows... 1817, 1828, 1832 (stamped T.B.), 1837 LC's and an 1844 Canadian Halfpenny Token. Thanks for looking!

100_2571.jpg

100_2551.jpg

100_2560.jpg

100_2561.jpg

100_2562.jpg

100_2563.jpg

100_2565.jpg

100_2564.jpg

Upvote 0

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Very nice on the Large Cents!! Looks like a banner year for big coppers for you!!

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Hey Wallhangers,
Don't look like they are to hard to come by to me.
Looks like you did pretty well :thumbsup:
Congrats on some very nice coins and relics :thumbsup:

fortbball9

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Dude I just found one of those Canada Half Pennies too. How strange is that. Never saw one before and now I have seen 3 posted. I was digging in northern Indiana. Is that pretty close to where you are? Nice digs on all those LC's. That is what I thought I had until the Canada coin showed up. Here's mine.....

Attachments

• Canada 4.JPG
    Canada 4.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 480
  • Canada 5.JPG
    Canada 5.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 478
  • Canada 4.JPG
    Canada 4.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 489
  • Canada 5.JPG
    Canada 5.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 484

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o You're smokin', Mark!! I can't imagine finding such a nice handful of LC's in one hunt. Keep it up!

HH

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jgas said:
Dude I just found one of those Canada Half Pennies too. How strange is that. Never saw one before and now I have seen 3 posted. I was digging in northern Indiana. Is that pretty close to where you are? Nice digs on all those LC's. That is what I thought I had until the Canada coin showed up. Here's mine.....
I am not too far from the Indiana line. I found a canadian token the other day also and that one was dated 1820. Maybe there is a reason more are found in this area!?!
Michiganne said:
:o You're smokin', Mark!! I can't imagine finding such a nice handful of LC's in one hunt. Keep it up!

HH
One of these days Anne...you are going to nail some good coins, maybe even this weekend?

Thanks everyone!

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Nice! I was pretty excited finding my old worn out LC a few weeks ago. Good to see there is some old ones to be found. I was not findind anything until I did some research too. Congrats.

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
WOW!! GREAT FINDS!
That would be a Dream hunt for me also.
Congratulations!!
Sweet Dreams...........
HH

John

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Cow!!! That's a Dream Hunt and a 1/2!!!!!!!!! Congrats

HH Joe

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds for Michigan. Can you trace the counter stamped initials to the original owner of the land you were hunting?....NGE

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nowgittineverything said:
Nice finds for Michigan. Can you trace the counter stamped initials to the original owner of the land you were hunting?....NGE
The initials on the large cent may just be the initials of the owner. The land owner's initials were O.B., but his residence was on the bordering property. I am assuming that this could be his son's homestead but I have yet to find a specific name. I would like to follow up on this because anything that can link one of my finds to a specific person means more to me than just digging items.

Thanks everyone for the responses. One thing I failed to mention was that all of the coins were put in my pocket without looking for dates. You can imagine the fun I had cleaning these one by one to read the dates. I usually can't take it in the field, my impatience gets the best of me and I usually try to read a date soon after the find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions