MalteseFalcon
Bronze Member
Firstly, I finally got some silver. ONE silver out of today's box....a 1959 Ben Franklin. Philadelphia (no mint mark).
Okay secondly, about the condition of the coins in this box. Seems someone beat the living krap out of a lot of halves. Many of them had gouges, scrapes, etc. as if they had been part of a spill on a highway or something and got run over by a bunch of cars.
I counted at least 20 that were slightly bent as well. It was pitiful to see these things....abused.....the horror....the horror...
Anyhoo....aside from the ONE Uncle Ben, I found 9 proofs! You can see 8 of them below. One was so beat up, it looked like it had been in circulation for decades (it was a 1972 I think), and was no longer very 'mirror-like'.
The 8 shown below were mostly in decent shape. And.....another first. I had never found a 1987 half. Funny that when I do it is a proof in 'very lightly circulated' condition:
Note the 1984 proof. It gets my vote as the most destroyed proof I have ever seen:
And I am also returning the 1971 proof into the wild. It has a couple of good sized gouges out of the edge.
Another odd thing was a welcome lack of 1997 D halves. Those damn BU 1997 Ds are a pain. I got an entire box of them one time. Ugh.
And lastly I found at least a couple of dozen post-2001 NIFCs. 2 of them were 2007-Ds. Those are the most recent halves I have owned, but my ownership was over really soon, as I put them back in the box to send out there for someone else to find.
I am hoping my silver findage increases next week, but at least I found one this week, and it was a 90% one at that!
Happy hunting!

Okay secondly, about the condition of the coins in this box. Seems someone beat the living krap out of a lot of halves. Many of them had gouges, scrapes, etc. as if they had been part of a spill on a highway or something and got run over by a bunch of cars.
I counted at least 20 that were slightly bent as well. It was pitiful to see these things....abused.....the horror....the horror...
Anyhoo....aside from the ONE Uncle Ben, I found 9 proofs! You can see 8 of them below. One was so beat up, it looked like it had been in circulation for decades (it was a 1972 I think), and was no longer very 'mirror-like'.
The 8 shown below were mostly in decent shape. And.....another first. I had never found a 1987 half. Funny that when I do it is a proof in 'very lightly circulated' condition:
Note the 1984 proof. It gets my vote as the most destroyed proof I have ever seen:
And I am also returning the 1971 proof into the wild. It has a couple of good sized gouges out of the edge.
Another odd thing was a welcome lack of 1997 D halves. Those damn BU 1997 Ds are a pain. I got an entire box of them one time. Ugh.
And lastly I found at least a couple of dozen post-2001 NIFCs. 2 of them were 2007-Ds. Those are the most recent halves I have owned, but my ownership was over really soon, as I put them back in the box to send out there for someone else to find.
I am hoping my silver findage increases next week, but at least I found one this week, and it was a 90% one at that!
Happy hunting!

Upvote
0








