A few more keokuk

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Just got a load of Burlington Keokuk Chert. This is what Ive done so far. Definetly different to work with than obsidian or novaculite. Also ordered an Ishi stick and new well made bobbers. Plus a flat notcher. Still prefering antler for pressure and copper for percussion, but I allways switch back and forth depending on my mood and day. Wont use my Ishi till I teach myself more. Let me know what you think. Been ordering my stuff through Missouri Trading. Wish there was somewhere close to get a load of good flint.

Attachments

• 0405122017.jpg
    0405122017.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 0405122017a.jpg
    0405122017a.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Thanks man. Getting better at thinning. Alot less broken preforms. I hate making beautiful preforms and then having them break while notching or more thinning.

lightman

May 23, 2010
england, ar
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How much time do you have in each of those points? I'm a lineman and a local knapper use to hit me up for copper wire. Before the company got so pickey,I would give him scraps of #4,6 and 8 hard drawn.I guess a foot would last a long time. Lightman

lightman

May 23, 2010
england, ar
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow,I would have thought a lot more. Awesome looking work!Send me a pm with your address and I'll try to get you a box of rocks in the mail.This is a white/cream colored flint from an old railroad bed.Some of it has stress cracks in it,can't tell if it goes all the way thru.Will try to pick out the rocks that don't have cracks. Lightman

theonlinefisherman

Aug 10, 2012
West Central Florida
Detector(s) used
I am a digger of stone, bone, coral, and shell.
I get one of those every thirty tries :). They are beautiful. I love modern work. In some ways the tradition being alive is worth a lot.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

GTK96

Jul 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
lightman said:
Wow,I would have thought a lot more. Awesome looking work!Send me a pm with your address and I'll try to get you a box of rocks in the mail.This is a white/cream colored flint from an old railroad bed.Some of it has stress cracks in it,can't tell if it goes all the way thru.Will try to pick out the rocks that don't have cracks. Lightman

Hey, im kind of starting to get better at knapping, but being 15 and nowhere near good flint i think im gonna order some...anyways, i was wondering if i could get some from you, how much would a small box cost?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread