What's new

A fossilized Mollusk. It is still a snail to me

ANJ245

Greenie
Joined
Jul 16, 2011
Messages
13
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Location
Garnett, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Whites XLT, Fisher CZ21, Fisher CZ20, Fisher Gold Bug
It has been several years ago when I happened upon this fossil. I am pretty sure that I have identified it correctly. I am pretty proud of it. From the images that I can find it appears to be of museum quality.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1976.webp
    IMG_1976.webp
    51 KB · Views: 749
  • IMG_1974.webp
    IMG_1974.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 420
very nice specimen! what kind of area did you find it in, around water or on land?
 
I found it along the Brazos River in Glen Rose Texas. The area has since, been razed and built upon.
 
Your mollusk fossil is a gastropod - a snail - from the Lower Cretaceous of Texas. More accurately, the fossil is a steinkern - an internal cast - of the snail.

After burial, the snail shell dissolved away, but not before it filled with fine sediment from the surrounding limey sediment. That limey sediment hardened into the cast you have today. It appears to be a bit stream-abraded by the Brazos, but is a fine souvenir of your outing.
 
How fascinating! Thanks so much for the education. It was found on the ground very near the Brazos. It is one of my favorite non-metallic finds.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom