What's new

A Question About Old Silver Chalices

jolteon

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
622
Reaction score
248
Golden Thread
0
There will be no video on this topic! ( I am trying to get get better)

Hi my grandparents knows how Much I LOVE this hobby. So she gave me these old silver chalices. I know a magnet can not stick to it so I assume it is solid silver. I only have two and if they are extremely rare the other two will go to the set. (They gave me two and the box for research. I know they are made by an English Silver Smith, and the company is written in gothic! Pics
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419430145.623111.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419430185.307752.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419430217.474690.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419430250.280799.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419430318.371001.webp

Now both of these chalices are a little different from each other!?!

Size Difference
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419430477.730577.webp

BIGGEST DIFFERENCE
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419430635.660099.webp
The Manufacture is in a different spot!

I do not know anything else besides what I told you already. Any information mint value etc. would be great!! Happy Holidays

Jolteon
 
I cannot see the hallmarks well enough to identify them, just google British Sterling hallmarks and you will have access to a wealth of information, Good luck!
 
I do not believe that these are hallmarks though
 
What words or symbols are on the case?
Originally, did the case come with the chalices?
How do you know they were made by an English silversmith?
Don....
 
I typed the company name in gothic on the chalice. It said it was made by a English silver smith. It said no further details.
 
I am at a Christmas party now with my family I don't have the chalices on me I couldn't tell you I'll get back on that this evening
 
Merry Christmas ! I'm interested to see where the research leads here - Nice Gift !
 
Yeah this is the time of year I revive the antiques. 😃 I am truly thankful
 
Woah those are cool... do you have all 4 or just 2 ? ... I can say this much... they are each hand made... not cookie cutter made ... this was a lot of work.
They also seem to be a presentation of some sort. That mark looks so familiar to me but just cant put my finger on it.
Like mentioned above... what does the case say on the felt? can you do another photo shoot with that included....AND get in REAL close on bottom and the shield side... wanna see the texture of the metal close.
 
Give me a sec I have only two but my grandparents have the others I got two to conduct some research
 
I'll guess that your items are part of a vintage Corbell and Co. silver plated cordial set. The insignia inside your case appears to be that of a castle, the logo of Corbell and Co. The castle on the markings is another indication of Corbell. If it is silver plated, a generic set with case would run about $50. Yours, being more ornate, would fetch a higher price. Of course, if it contains more silver than electroplated, the value will increase significantly.
Don......
 
One that I don't have has drilled a hole in the bottom (it did no damage to the chalices) it is solid silver or sterling silver! Did you guess 50$ together or each?
 
PS to my previous:
If they turn out to be Corbell and Co. products, then the earliest date would be 1946; the year that company was established in London. They moved to the States in '51 and currently are in business in Scottsdale, AZ. If you want to make an Email inquiry direct to the company, you can do so here: Contact Us
Don.....
 
Actually I lied I do have that one
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419464779.640381.webp
Yep it is silver all the way through!
Here is the Company Again!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419465117.318826.webp
 
I'm with Mackaydon on this Jolteon, a modern 1946 company who speciallized in silver plate or electroplating.If one were solid silver as you stated, it would be marked as such (sterling, 9.25) or something similar. Nice decorative pieces but not gonna buy the farm.

CORBELL & CO. SILVER PLATE WINE, WATER, TEA, GOBLET CUP
 
Ok I hate to say this but my question is answered I know you can't claim a dead thread, however I think it would be best to let the thread die out
 
Mackaydon has solved it. Still very cool looking set.
 
Checking with a magnet isn't an accurate way to check. Just a FYI. Alot of Silverplate is plated over Copper which is non magnetic. Very nice set regardless of what it's made of. A gift from your grandparents should have value to you well above whatever you might be able to sell them for...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom