What's new

a ton of copper

onfire

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
2,708
Reaction score
1,336
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of years back I was on a fire run here in town, as I remember we had a elderly gentleman with a double amputee that needed med. attention. after attending to his needs we noticed the bar in his rec room, it was totally covered with Indian heads I mean thousands of them. Besides the bar the entire perimeter of the room also had them glued to the wall. We were amazed to say the lease, but what really rocked our socks off,was he told us to look behind the furnace, there stood a 30 gallon garbage can full to the brim with Penny's .....he said he had been collecting them for 60 years and they were to be given to his grandson upon his death. Believe me that was one of many encounters of 35 years of firefighting. Just mite take a run down there for some pic's if the old guy is still living. We figured the weight at over a ton.
 
Upvote 0
Holy cow. Be sure to take pics and keep us updated.
 
Must have been a real cent'er :)
 
onfire said:
Couple of years back I was on a fire run here in town, as I remember we had a elderly gentleman with a double amputee that needed med. attention. after attending to his needs we noticed the bar in his rec room, it was totally covered with Indian heads I mean thousands of them. Besides the bar the entire perimeter of the room also had them glued to the wall. We were amazed to say the lease, but what really rocked our socks off,was he told us to look behind the furnace, there stood a 30 gallon garbage can full to the brim with Penny's .....he said he had been collecting them for 60 years and they were to be given to his grandson upon his death. Believe me that was one of many encounters of 35 years of firefighting. Just mite take a run down there for some pic's if the old guy is still living. We figured the weight at over a ton.

I'm not sure the 30 gallon would hold a ton. Just sems like it when you look at it.

It takes about 145 pennies to make a pound. So a ton is about 290,000 pennies. I have about a ton and a quarter in my garage right now, and I know it would not fit into 2 30-gallon cans.

But what he has is still an awesome thing to see. :-) Thanks for sharing the story.
 
mistergee said:
pics of that man's stash and Jrf30's would be AWESOME.

I'll try to get out to the garage and show you guys what is out there. :-)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom