What's new

A very large key

Kala

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Few years ago, i found this key from the forrest in Southern Spain. It is 45 centimeters (about 17 inches) long and weight about 3 kilos (6.6 lbs).
Have anyone seen similar key? I don't have any idea where is the door or the lock it fits in. I am pretty sure, that it is not made for the padlock :wink:. It is made from cast or forged iron, and it seems like it's been on the ground quite long time. If You could help me, i would be very thankful.
 

Attachments

  • Img_3137_1.webp
    Img_3137_1.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 409
Blacksheep said:
Decorative or ceremonial would be my guess. :wink:

EDIT: Here`s a link to similar keys.

http://www.goldenopenings.com/detail.aspx?ID=342

I agree, that it must be some kind of decorative or ceremonial key. It is not very practical key only for locking purposes. But, the problem is, that there is no markings, engravings or text at all. No any kind of decorations at all. I is simple and plain skeleton key, only longer and hevier.
 
Upvote 0
First guess was a gate key to a fortress. Then I looked at the size again......
It must be a ceramonial key to the city.
 
Upvote 0
FE FI FO FUM! I wish I knew you found it, I had to make a new ONE!
 
Upvote 0
Westley: Give us the gate key.
Yellin: I have no gate key.
Inigo Montoya: Fezzik, tear his arms off.
Yellin: Oh, you mean *this* gate key.

:icon_queen:
 
Upvote 0
Or maybe it's part of a locksmith's sign .
 

Attachments

  • 1794946815_7f5e9a1a5a.webp
    1794946815_7f5e9a1a5a.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0
I weighted it again and it's actually 4 kilograms. There is no hooks or holes and nothing points that it has never hung anywhere. It was quite rusty and i cleaned it when i found it.
 
Upvote 0
I say its a key to a castle gates there in spain. Just had some big guards to use it. You would think it would of been hard to lise it. ;D
 
Upvote 0
Can you imagine the keychain for that baby?? :icon_jokercolor:
 
Upvote 0
Well, i think it maybe could be a key to a church door. And during the civil war in Spain (1936-39), the republicans throw it away when Franco invaded (?) to Spain. I found it quite close to that place. Just a though. PS. sorry my English :-[, try to understand what i am trying to say.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom