A WW2 sunken Dutch ship in the English Channel

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was reading one research article on the Nazi gold laundering controversy of Portugal and Switzerland during the WW2, I came across this information ,and thought it would interest the audience, I have copy pasted the excerpt from the article which I will cite below,

".......Alarmed by the advance of the Wehrmacht and the subsequent Nazi pillage in Austria and Czechoslovakia, the Netherlands and Belgium had made every effort to bring their central bank reserves to safety. Initially, the Belgians had better luck than the Dutch. The ship attempting to ferry some of the Dutch reserves abroad met a disastrous end, sinking in the English Channel. The sizable Belgian cache, some 198 tons already spirited across the border into France, was shipped for safekeeping to vaults in Dakar. After the French surrender, however, even in colonial West Africa the reserves were no longer safe from the long arm of the German victors. The German Reich demanded that the Vichy government hand over the Belgian gold, and, after certain complications, they complied9. By May 1942, the French central bank had shipped the entire stock of Belgian gold reserves to Berlin. .."

According to this research article there is a sunken WW2 Dutch ship in the English channel filled with some tons of gold. The Question is has it been retrieved?...
The research article I copied the excerpt is titled
António Louçã and Ansgar Schäfer, “Portugal and the Nazi GOLD: The ‘Lisbon Connection’ in the Sales of Looted Gold by the Third Reich”---Yad Vashem Studies, vol. 27, (1999), pp. 105- 123

tintin treasure

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I was reading one research article on the Nazi gold laundering controversy of Portugal and Switzerland during the WW2, I came across this information ,and thought it would interest the audience, I have copy pasted the excerpt from the article which I will cite below,

".......Alarmed by the advance of the Wehrmacht and the subsequent Nazi pillage in Austria and Czechoslovakia, the Netherlands and Belgium had made every effort to bring their central bank reserves to safety. Initially, the Belgians had better luck than the Dutch. The ship attempting to ferry some of the Dutch reserves abroad met a disastrous end, sinking in the English Channel. The sizable Belgian cache, some 198 tons already spirited across the border into France, was shipped for safekeeping to vaults in Dakar. After the French surrender, however, even in colonial West Africa the reserves were no longer safe from the long arm of the German victors. The German Reich demanded that the Vichy government hand over the Belgian gold, and, after certain complications, they complied9. By May 1942, the French central bank had shipped the entire stock of Belgian gold reserves to Berlin. .."

According to this research article there is a sunken WW2 Dutch ship in the English channel filled with some tons of gold. The Question is has it been retrieved?...
The research article I copied the excerpt is titled
António Louçã and Ansgar Schäfer, “Portugal and the Nazi GOLD: The ‘Lisbon Connection’ in the Sales of Looted Gold by the Third Reich”---Yad Vashem Studies, vol. 27, (1999), pp. 105- 123

tintin treasure

Hola TT

You might want to read this article in the new york times.

http://http://www.nytimes.com/1997/02/07/world/dutch-to-open-inquiry-into-gold-looted-by-nazis-in-world-war-ii.html

Kanacki

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread