ACE 250 pinpointing and sniper coil

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Does anyone know if the small sniper coil for the ACE 250 works any differently than the standard coil for pinpointing. I've had my ACE out a couple of times now, and am pretty happy with its performance. That is except for the pinpointing. I'm still struggling with that. I haven't used a metal detector in about ten years, but I'm not exactly new to the game. With my old Garretts ADS III, I could generally hit a coin first try with my probe and almost always used just a screwdriver for retrieval. However, with the ACE I am having quite a time trying to pinpoint. I throw a coin on the ground and pinpoint, and it clearly is centered in the "window" just in front of the stem, but when I try to retrieve a buried coin, it seems to be located farther back in the "window" (don't know how else to describe - that sort of egg shaped hole in the center of the coil), and sometimes even behind the window. I think part of the problem is that the areas I have tried seem to have a lot of trash and it seems that I am frequently getting multiple signals that are interfering with each other. Therefor, I thought the small coil would help for the trashy areas, and might also pinpoint more like my old detector (with a "solid" coil). Any suggestions?

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ACE also, and I'd suggest getting a pinpointer to cut down on the frustration. Everyone also recommends getting the sniper coil, but I havn't bought one yet.

I've dug things like earring backings and fishhooks that were to small to find visually but I was able to find them eventually with a handheld pinpointer.

Welcome to the Ace club!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have much of a problem with my ace on pinpointing, but I must say that I love my handheld pin pointer. Its so nice to pass it over the dug dirt and see if it is in that clod, or when I have a hole pass it around until it picks up the exact location. The only time I have pin point problems has been on foil or chewed up bits of alum.
You shouldn't have a pp problem with the sniper, for one thing the coil ain't very big to begin with but since its solid and you don't have the little window it might be hard to adjust to at first.

OP
OP
C

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Yeah, I can see how the pinpointer would be quite handy if your digging for your finds. I would prefer to be to retrieve without cutting a plug or digging, but by probing and then "popping" the find out with a screwdriver (people seem much less concerned when you use a screwdriver rather than a trowel or knife). Anyway, as I mentioned above, I use to be quite handy and retrieving with a screwdriver, and if I could pinpoint more accurately, I would prefer to go that route.

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Teknetics pinpointer (Bounty Hunter) is made of tough plastic with a 5 inch tip that allows it to be shoved into the ground pretty easily. You could probe the soil a bit before trying to pop the coin out.

Sometimes things can be very hard to pinpoint if there is other junk in the ground.

Look through the Garrett pages here, I thought there were some older articles on pinpointing with the 250 here.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
The sniper pinpoints on dead center. I have found targets at 6 inches plus with the sniper.
To pinpoint with the stock coil: Detune target, center coil left and right, pull coil back to you until there is no tone, 90% of targets are just under the front edge of the center coil. 10% of targets are toward you about an inch.

Wabash

Greenie
Jan 10, 2007
I bought the ACE right after Christmas with standard and large coils. Before the ground thawed here in Indiana, I bought a "sniper" coil. I put the sniper on first, and haven't taken it off. It IDs smack dab in the middle of the coil every time. I'm getting coins at 4 to 5 inches.

OP
OP
C

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Thanks for the info everyone. I just got my sniper coil a few days ago and look forward to getting out with it real soon (been kind of rainy here). In the meantime, I have started to get the hang of pinpointing with the ACE (took about 4 sessions).

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Casuul,
I know I told you the sniper pinpoints dead center. But look at it this way. If you use the sniper and never figure out how to pinpoint - just dig a 4.5 inch plug (sniper diameter). You should come up with your target everytime with the sniper. Good luck!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I haven't but it makes sense that you will get a smaller target response. Better pinpointing - yes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread