Advise from the experts

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Coin Melt Values - Coinflation (Live Silver Prices)

That will give you the current melt value of all silver coinage , 90% melt is about 21.5x face as of today. You should be able to get "junk" silver for face or maybe 1x over face. People on ebay that are selling high are trying to capitalize on the fear and what not, however with the amount of volume sold on ebay the pirce should be converging around the spot price. Stuff going for 30-35x face is probably old and in collectible condition, i.e. older walkers and barbers in good shape etc.

Shouldnt see 30x face until about 42-43 per oz silver.

Hope that helps a little
Bigheed

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Coin Melt Values - Coinflation (Live Silver Prices)

That will give you the current melt value of all silver coinage , 90% melt is about 21.5x face as of today. You should be able to get "junk" silver for face or maybe 1x over face. People on ebay that are selling high are trying to capitalize on the fear and what not, however with the amount of volume sold on ebay the pirce should be converging around the spot price. Stuff going for 30-35x face is probably old and in collectible condition, i.e. older walkers and barbers in good shape etc.

Shouldnt see 30x face until about 42-43 per oz silver.

Hope that helps a little
Bigheed
Junk for face or 1x over face?! Where are you buying?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... You should be able to get "junk" silver for face or maybe 1x over face.
Hope that helps a little
Bigheed

You've lost your damn mind! Show me ANY place that is selling cull silver for face value and I will take out a second mortgage to buy everything they have! It just isn't happening.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Junk for face or 1x over face?! Where are you buying?

I have a coin dealer acquaintance that sells me 90% below melt whenever I want it (assuming he has some and it is not already spoken for). It might only be 5 or 10 cents under spot (per ounce of pure silver) but it is below spot. I don't care for junk silver much (I do buy good condition Franklins sometimes). I always seem to opt for low premium .999 instead, and pay max 50 cents over spot, sometimes less. Every now and then he sells me off quality ASEs for 50 cents over, and I take those whenever I can get them and have the cash.

The reason he sells to me for that price is he sends off most of what he buys to wholesalers, and I pay him what they would be paying him ( I think I pay a little more, but I am not complaining).

You won't find advertised prices that low, but there are ways to get them. I will give you some ideas if you wish to pm me.

Jim

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a coin dealer acquaintance that sells me 90% below melt whenever I want it (assuming he has some and it is not already spoken for). It might only be 5 or 10 cents under spot (per ounce of pure silver) but it is below spot. I don't care for junk silver much (I do buy good condition Franklins sometimes). I always seem to opt for low premium .999 instead, and pay max 50 cents over spot, sometimes less. Every now and then he sells me off quality ASEs for 50 cents over, and I take those whenever I can get them and have the cash.

The reason he sells to me for that price is he sends off most of what he buys to wholesalers, and I pay him what they would be paying him ( I think I pay a little more, but I am not complaining).

You won't find advertised prices that low, but there are ways to get them. I will give you some ideas if you wish to pm me.

Jim

What I got from Bigheeds post is that he pays 50 cents for 90% halves or up to one dollar for the same half. The only place I can get deals like that by CRHing. Maybe I read it wrong.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
What I got from Bigheeds post is that he pays 50 cents for 90% halves or up to one dollar for the same half. The only place I can get deals like that by CRHing. Maybe I read it wrong.

Sorry about that, you are right. I am guessing at this, but I believe Bigheed meant to say spot or melt but said face by mistake and meant 1x over spot. As I was reading the posts I unconsciously substituted the word spot for face.

If I am wrong on this, then I want all in too on the "face value" silver coins. LOL!

Jim

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also say there are deals out there for junk silver (meaning no special dates or such) any way I just bought 4 rolls Walking Liberty Halves, 16 quarters and 1 dime for Ta! Ra! $1050.00 shipping included when spot price was $32.60. Yes there's deal out there if your willing to look and I bought them online on another forum. Very seldom will I pay over spot if I do it's not by much.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=131751

Last edited:

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
correct i meant to say melt or 1x face over melt....I type fast and made a boo boo! Pretty obvious mistake, sorry to make a few fol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread