What's new

Ammo need help IDing

senecalisa

Jr. Member
Joined
May 8, 2012
Messages
36
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300
Ammo need help ID'ing

Found this under an old maple tree in the side yard. Any help ID'ing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking and have a wonderful day.
 

Attachments

  • image-509805708.webp
    image-509805708.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 140
  • image-578543381.webp
    image-578543381.webp
    36 KB · Views: 136
  • image-3667605327.webp
    image-3667605327.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 158
  • image-1531791645.webp
    image-1531791645.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 140
  • image-3965425209.webp
    image-3965425209.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 142
Looks to be a shotgun slug made by Federal. I know these were around in the 1960's (paper casings) but it could be older or more recent.
 
Upvote 0
I don’t think it’s a bullet, not with a star on the tip. But then again, I know very little about bullets.:dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
It appears to be a copper-jacketed shotgun slug, from the latter part of the 20th-century. Yours seems to be missing most of the lead which the copper jacket covered.
 
Upvote 0
A Foster type slug I think they are called...d2
 
Upvote 0
Here's one that I pulled out for a picture.slug.webp
 
Upvote 0
An old style shotgun slug. The newer shotgun slugs have either a sabot shaped lead projectile or a conical shaped one, some being solid lead while others are copper coated. Instead of solid copper the cover is often some type of cupro/nickel alloy known as gilding metal. This particular one looks like it is mostly solid lead and the Federal brand is probably a very good guess. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom