Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Picture this:

You are standing shoulder to shoulder in the early morning light with your regiment. You stomach twists itself into knots, knowing what is about to come. The sun climbs above the horizon, casting shadows behind the hills. Over 1,000 bayonets catch the first rays of sun, and cast a blinding light to your eyes. The morning frost is still on the wet grass, the same grass that the next few hours will be covered in many a young mans blood.

A bugle in the distance is called, and your senior officer barks out the order to "forward march". Will this be your last battle?

You march through the wet grass, the sun in your eyes, and the wind calmly blowing in your face. Your regimental flag waving in the early mornings light, and the beat of a thousand footsteps, trampling the frosty morning grass below. In the distance, you see a large puff of smoke, and then the scream of an incoming artillery shell. It slams into the dirt about 20 yards ahead of you, sending dirt, dust and shrapnel over your head. As the dirt comes down, and you wipe your eyes, another puff of smoke is seen. And another, and another...

"Double quick!" your officer calls, and with a sharp cry, the regiment surges forward. Into the impending jaws of death, and seemingly the gates of hell. A fence blocks your path, and the regiment pauses. By now, you are within the range of enemy fire. A thousand puffs of smoke are discharged, and the squeak of minie balls scream past your ears. You panic, and reloading your musket is difficult now. The pause is over, and now you find yourself, and your comrades over the fence, and into the ever closer reaches of death.

"Forward men! double quick and give 'em hell!" screams your officer. Now you are running, running with all the speed you can muster. The wet grass splashes now, with the footsteps of a thousand soldiers, a thousand soldiers running to doom.

You are almost there. Just a few more yards to the stone wall. To the stone wall, and your regiment has the victory. The sun illuminates the enemy, and in their eyes you can see the hatred and contempt he has for you. You fire your musket, but who knows if you hit anybody. You charge with your bayonet lowered, your friends are climbing over the wall, and now it is your turn to make a mark on history.

Just on the other side of that wall stands a soldier. He knows that it is up to him to stop that charge. If the defense fails, the enemy can sweep around, and destroy the army. He quickly reaches into his cartridge pouch, and pulls out the paper cartridge, and inside lies the deadly minie ball. He follows the loading procedure, and cocks the hammer. He fits the percussion cap to the nipple, and gets ready. He spots a young enemy soldier climbing over the wall. He starts squeezing the trigger...

You are now climbing over the wall, you take your rifle and begin to charge the enemy. But then you feel a sharp, burning pain. The deadly minie ball pierces your chest, the soft lead expanding and ripping a gaping hole in your flesh. It splinters your rib bones in nano seconds, and exits the body as fast as it came in. The sounds of battle are fading, the world is growing darker, and before you now it, you are on the ground.

When you wake up in the field hospital, the surgeon gives you a foul tasting medicine from a clear bottle. He puts a rag on your face, and the world becomes muted, and dark again...

This is an experience shared by many thousands of soldiers throughout the Civil War. Many were not lucky, and died on the spot, or worse, after hours of suffering. Field hospitals from both armies were swamped with the mutilated bodies of many thousands of young soldiers, all ripped to pieces by the deadly minie ball.

Bullets mean so much more to me, than any other relics. I take pride in each, and every bullet I own. I am fortunate to own these pieces of history, and I will cherish them forever.

DSC_0333.jpg

Here is a pile of fired Civil War bullets, accompanied by a U.S.A Hospital Department bottle found in Union hospitals.

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great post! Of the bullets I find, fired and drops, my most favorite are the bullets that have the ramrod mark on it. Regardless of the side he fought on when you start leaving ramrod marks on your bullets you have been in the fray so long that you are loading a rifle that needed cleaning several shots ago and couldn't. Cramming that bullet home before one from the other side finds you makes them very special to me...d2

Good to hear from you d2 , I never looked at my "Hard Rammed" Minnie's that way , you got me wondering about a site that where almost every bullet had been hard rammed , some had that 'Modern Shot Gun Sabot Slug ' look as they were rammed so hard.
Have a goodin.

Haldean

Feb 11, 2019
Burlington NC
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty, I have always felt that a lot of the soldiers that survived the war and their wounds, would live into becoming elderly Veterans. A lot of these old Vets would succumb to their wounds received years earlier in that horrible war when they were young soldiers. In my opinion (which doesn't count for much), these Vet's died from combat wounds from that war, just years later. Your story is a proven point of this. One horror story I heard was of a young soldier and his regiment were assaulting a strong trenchline. The soldier was obviously just short of being out of range when he caught a Minnie' ball in his head in the bone just above the soldiers eye. The lead ball was so deep embedded in the bone that the Dr.'s were unable to remove the bullet. The cavity of the bullet was nearly flush with the bone above the soldiers eye. In time, skin grafted over the ball, but it was said that you could both see and feel the lump from the lead ball. Through the years the now elderly Vet began to suffer from severe migrane headaches. There was nothing the Dr.'s could do for this poor Vet. In the last days of this Vets life the migrane headaches became so severe that he would go into screaming fits of rage. The family had to lock their loved one away in a rear bedroom where he would die alone in severe pain amongst his screaming in agony. How horrible this was for this poor old Ge Vet and his family. I believe that in cases such as these that these soldiers named should have been listed with those that were killed in the war....just some years later.

I guess it has always been that way. I have lost several friends fairly recently from the agent orange used in Vietnam. It seems that they should be honored as casualties of the war.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Turkey season is over, the river is to high to fish and I am about caught up in the shop so maybe I can start doing more detecting...d2

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Turkey season is over, the river is to high to fish and I am about caught up in the shop so maybe I can start doing more detecting...d2

My season ends today. Miserable season. I hope to get out point hunting on the Ohio River soon...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it has always been that way. I have lost several friends fairly recently from the agent orange used in Vietnam. It seems that they should be honored as casualties of the war.

Hear Hear !!! Haldean

Even the Kids of those exposed to that "Crap" have paid a high price ; as a buddy of mines Brother had severe mutations physical & mental , he lived to be in his late 20's ( I think ) . Even tho he was disabled / could not talk etc, He was a cool Dude. R.I.P. Damon S.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My season ends today. Miserable season. I hope to get out point hunting on the Ohio River soon...

Season ending because of Heat / Bugs , Bush?

Good luck on the River , I need a Boat. 8-)

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GL gettin, out .
Work need's done but the Relic's & the Fish are waiting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions