What's new

Ancient Coin???

mick56

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2007
Messages
1,348
Reaction score
1,149
Golden Thread
1
Location
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Found this coin today at an elementary school that was built in 1955 and is still in use. It was down about 3". It's a hair bigger than a quarter, and I think it is copper.
 

Attachments

  • rome1.webp
    rome1.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 366
  • rome2.webp
    rome2.webp
    12.2 KB · Views: 358
Great find!

You have a Maximian (AD 285-310) Roman bronze coin!
Maximian was also known as Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maximianus .

This coin was minted at Antioch.

The legend reads:
Obverse=> IMP C MA MAXIMIANVS PF AVG
Reverse =>GENIO POPVLI ROMANI ANT

IMP=imperator
C MA MAXIMIANVS= Cæsar Marcus Aurelius Maximianus
PF=Pius Felix
AVG= Augustus

GENIO POPVLI ROMANI=Genius (spirit) of the Roman people
ANT= Antiochia mint
 
Upvote 0
Moe (fl) said:
Great find!

You have a Maximian (AD 285-310) Roman bronze coin!
Maximian was also known as Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maximianus .

This coin was minted at Antioch.

The legend reads:
Obverse=> IMP C MA MAXIMIANVS PF AVG
Reverse =>GENIO POPVLI ROMANI ANT

IMP=imperator
C MA MAXIMIANVS= Cæsar Marcus Aurelius Maximianus
PF=Pius Felix
AVG= Augustus

GENIO POPVLI ROMANI=Genius (spirit) of the Roman people
ANT= Antiochia mint

:icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
What a cool thing to find at a school. Show and tell gone wrong.
 
Upvote 0
Since I found it at an elementary school, I figured it was play money at first, although the coin is pretty heavy.

But now, a real Roman coin!!! Never thought I'd be finding one of those in WI.

Yep, a show and tell item that was lost. I would guess it was in the ground at least 10-20 years.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom