What's new

✅ SOLVED Another Bullet.... Help Needed Please

tokens70

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
445
Reaction score
92
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, Explorer 2
Hey guys, I have a bullet that I would like to get an approx. age and style/maker on. It looks about .45 cal. or possibly bigger in diameter....slightly difficult to tell in it's present state:tongue3: It has been whittled/carved somewhat for sure. It looks like a colt pistol bullet in style, but seems a little big for that:icon_scratch: Wish I still had my McKee and Mason book that was stolen from me....guess that's what you get when you are nice enough to loan someone something:unhappysmiley: Anyway, I am buying relics from my brother to help him out, and they are a mix of Indian Wars and Civil War. I am trying to separate the two groups. Some things I know for sure which period, but some of the lead, I have a difficult time determining. Thanks for any help on this:thumbsup: Chris
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    219.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 006.webp
    006.webp
    219.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    125.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    190.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    218.3 KB · Views: 112
I don't have the latest bullet book, but that looks like a colt to me.
 
Upvote 0
Colt would be either .36, or .44, and it looks like a .44 caliber colt to me. Looks like it was sawed into for use as a fishing sinker, like a split shot sinker.
 
Upvote 0
I think you guys are probably right. I guess it being kind of deformed from carving made it look bigger than .44 cal:laughing7: One thing I don't remember about the colt bullets, is them being cast with a hole in the base:dontknow: I will admit, its been a long time since I really delved into CW projectiles. But would this date to, or possibly before the Civil War? Like I said, I would really like to separate the two time periods of relics:thumbsup:I appreciate the help on this Bosn & DG:occasion14:
 
Upvote 0
According to the "Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" you found a civil war yankee Watervliet Arsenal bullet for .44-caliber blackpowder revolvers. That book mentions the existence of "a variant with a small hole in the base."
 
Upvote 0
Wow Cannonball!!! You are good:notworthy: Thank you Again:occasion14:.....Chris
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom