Another Sundays Privy Dig

Bottleviking

Mar 2, 2009
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whatever nu2poo loans me
We got out Sunday before last and dug a pit. It was a brick liner and went about 11 feet deep. It didn't really get any older than the 1890's but we got a few things. A neat milk glass butter dish, a couple of dolls heads and one lonely dolls eyeball, 4 base embossed Higgins Inks and a couple of carter inks, some embossed meds and other odds and ends. We were hoping it would get older at the bottom. Maybe next time. The "hole" story is at

http://privydigger.com/march_14th_2009.htm

Attachments

• stuff31509small.jpg
    stuff31509small.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 365

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Eddie, man we sure have been paying some dues. It was never more apparent than after seeing John's dig on Liberty. WOW!! Anyway.........I am still kinda curious about the two shallow "empty" pits we passed up on Sunday. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Chuck

By the way, thanks for the pic. That stuff cleaned up really nice.

OP
OP
Bottleviking

Bottleviking

Mar 2, 2009
Cincinnati
Detector(s) used
Whatever nu2poo loans me
"We barter on odds not becoming". "Trade our sweat for a booty of naught".
"Then when good fortune smiles, and the glass comes in piles, dedication has paid for the lot".

John may dig those 40 footers, but we can empty out those two 6 footers in half a day, just to be sure. Might be something hiding in the corners.

And like usual, I only really washed up the few items that I might pick on. Lol.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Ed, no doubt. Seeing that dig was just inspiring. Besides..............where in the heck would I keep all that kille stuff anyway. I would still be into ripping into them. I do not have enough experience with EARLY pits to really get a feel for those two. I do remember a certain suddleness to the ones that I have dug. Keep in touch.
Chuck a.k.a. Mack 10

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Looks better than our last two digs. We dug an 1875 pit full of broken plates, goblets, cups, shot glasses etc.. We found one broken pontiled puff, one intact lockport gargling oil, a couple pot lids and a couple yellowware glue projects. I've got permission at three 1870's places that we have yet to locate the privies at, a couple 1880 places and a couple works in progress in other towns. We've passed out over 150 tri-fold "Dayton Diggers" brochures and we're starting to build a name for ourselves and open up more and more properties. All this said, my digging partner Phil moved up here from Richmond, VA and is chomping at the bit to dig something decent in Ohio. He wrote a book on VA sodas and has a nice collection of pontiled cobalt/green sodas. I'd like to introduce you to him some time.
Later, Steve

Attachments

• DaytonDigger.gif
    DaytonDigger.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 280
  • DaytonDigger.gif
    DaytonDigger.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 276

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread