Antique Fishing Tokens (15 Total, Non-Dug Gift)

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of years ago I photo-studied an old local character. Very photogenic. He collects vintage and very expensive hand-carved bird decoys. I gave him the portraits as a gift. He later gave me a sack of 15 of what he called fishing tokens (I live near the ocean in an area with a rich fishing tradition). I promptly lost the tokens in my stuff without getting a look at them. A couple of years later, today I found them in my bedroom.

Really surprised and happy to see a nice 1794 Middlesex-Fowler's Whale Fishery half penny token! I don't know anything about these tokens but I am sharing them here because you guys supposedly like round metal objects. Up until today they were buried treasure and I only found them because I didn't go out into the field metal detecting today.

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 19
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 16
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    924 KB · Views: 17
  • fish4.jpg
    fish4.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 18
  • fish5.jpg
    fish5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • fish6.jpg
    fish6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Whale fishing token:
The dies for this token were engraved by Thomas Wyon and it was manufactured by Thomas Mynd in Birmingham.
The token was issued by J. Fowler who was an oil merchant and tin-plate worker with a business at 78, Long Acre, at the West End of London.

Don in SoCal

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's the history of the (Alaskan) Icy Straits Salmon Company and the Hoonah Packing Company.
Don in SoCal.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread