Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still searching for signs of Civil War activity on the undeveloped properties in my area. Yesterday evening went for about an hour to an old dam that was a private road many years ago (thanks, www.historicaerials.com). I've found some old iron objects dating back to at least 1850 there, so I figured I would just turn off discrimination and dig everything. Yet more hand-forged/primitive nails, a few shell casings and these cool things, which appear to be some very old tire chains from 1920-1930. Made my day on a short little hunt.

IMG_4668.jpg

Upvote 7

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE find. Thoise chains look small like for a lawn tractor or a walk behind plow,. If you look on the one side of the chains it looks like they have grippers attached to the chains . What is the length of the chains

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If those are tire chains, they're for a real small tire......like 6" diameter ones.

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE find. Thoise chains look small like for a lawn tractor or a walk behind plow,. If you look on the one side of the chains it looks like they have grippers attached to the chains . What is the length of the chains
That's what I thought ..being 17 inches , they aren't gonna fit a normal car size tire

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like there should be some other pieces to them. It doesn't look like they would wrap around something and have one end attach to the other without something in between. the ends just aren't oriented correctly to do that. There sure would be a heck of a bump if you had to drive over that big joint on the one end. Maybe they go the other way.....as in through a spoked wheel where they would wrap around between the spokes. It would take a bunch of those things to do one tire though........

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't they go around the tire and through the spokes? There may be 6-8 of them for one tire.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, just googled "antique tire chains" and up popped photos just like your chains. They go through the spokes and it takes many such chains to complete one wheel.

OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking that too - they're only about 16 inches long. I've found several other old farm implements in the area.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhh - I was wondering why they were so short. At that length they would only fit a 5 inch wheel if it were only one per wheel
maybe a small snowblower ? 5 inch wheel is pretty small. Turn them over and take a picture of the cleats attached to the chains

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still searching for signs of Civil War activity on the undeveloped properties in my area. Yesterday evening went for about an hour to an old dam that was a private road many years ago (thanks, www.historicaerials.com). I've found some old iron objects dating back to at least 1850 there, so I figured I would just turn off discrimination and dig everything. Yet more hand-forged/primitive nails, a few shell casings and these cool things, which appear to be some very old tire chains from 1920-1930. Made my day on a short little hunt.

View attachment 2008256
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread