What's new

Any ideas wut this could be?

bmartin0693

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2012
Messages
280
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A basalt artifact?

I found this in a creek in Yadkin Co., NC. The material is basalt and I know tools can be made from this material. I see no lithics but the shape looks unusual. Could this possibly be a piece of an artifact or just something natural? I'm open ears to any opinions yall may have. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 0420120037a.webp
    0420120037a.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 0420120032a.webp
    0420120032a.webp
    86.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 0420120030b.webp
    0420120030b.webp
    11.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 0420120030a.webp
    0420120030a.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 0420120029b.webp
    0420120029b.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah. It is, lol. I dont find much basalt in that creek really so this piece sticks out kinda. Its looks heavily used and worn. Its a tough one, I dont know how this material would really cleave though? Cleavage being how crystals break due to stress on a specific plane on the material. Basalt is fine-grained & suppose to have perfect cleavge. Maybe like this to produce a tip with one large plane (1st pic) and two other planes, there had to be a particular stress. I'm picturing, if those planes were extended it could be something larger. My explanation, IMO.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom