Any news on the new owners of tesoro yet ?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You know. I’ve never owned a Tesoro but I might be willing to give one a shot. Thanks
For the post.:icon_thumright:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
New owners of Tesoro is news itself to me.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like that I thought they were doing well heard alot of good posts about their machines. hmmm

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whew! I thought my negotiations to buy the Company had leaked out..

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking he means that is the rumoured buyer?! Maybe

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On that note i would like to see nokta buy them up.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On that note i would like to see nokta buy them up.

Hmm Turks buying an American company, think Ill pass on that...

Finding a buyer might be impossible if the warranty would follow the buyer of the company, that could be a mess to deal with...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres nothing to buy except the collection of electronics. Companies get bought because they have value. Value in future sales, value in intellectual property (patents) and value in the name.

Tesoro hadnt produced new technology or designs in a VERY long time. Why would a company buy outdated tech? Tesoro had very few sales. they tried to survive on the past reputation. There are people who loved the brand and the detectors, but typically those customers are old customers who have been using Tesoro for many years. You cant bring new customers with outdated decades old tech.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there was any value there one of the other manufacturers would have bought Tesoro a year ago.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres nothing to buy except the collection of electronics. Companies get bought because they have value. Value in future sales, value in intellectual property (patents) and value in the name.

Tesoro hadnt produced new technology or designs in a VERY long time. Why would a company buy outdated tech? Tesoro had very few sales. they tried to survive on the past reputation. There are people who loved the brand and the detectors, but typically those customers are old customers who have been using Tesoro for many years. You cant bring new customers with outdated decades old tech.

I actually think you could buy the name, Rebrand the Tejon make it weatherproof and replace the metal shaft and/or control box with a plastic mold and they would sell. (I'd buy one for sure a 1 to 3 tone option) I would also do the same with the sand shark. I would not offer a life time warranty but something more like 3 to 5 years with a bench fee after. Get active in social media and you might be surprised. My Vaquero was a depth monster and could unmask a target about as good as any other machine I have used. I would drop the other models I agree I don't think you could compete with the <$300 market today.

I wonder if a guy could make metal detectors as a side business or if the cost of equipment is far too much?

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one would think the trademark name TESORO would have had some value..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any of the other manufacturers saw a value there they would have made an offer of some kind.

syclone0182

Jun 24, 2006
tn
Detector(s) used
tesoro cibola - minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just pointing this out ........ Industrial Detection Systems designs and manufactures high value metal detection systems for industrial, commercial, and military applications . IDS is a wholley owned subsidary of Tesoro Electronics........... 715 White Spar Road
Prescott AZ 86303

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps the only value would have been in the name only. As the saying goes, "You snooze, You lose". That's what happens when things are left to go stagnant. They were, and still are great machines though IMHO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread