any of u illinoisers use the Ace 250? how is it? any local dealers?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: any of u illinois'ers use the Ace 250? how is it? any local dealers?

I use one, I dont use the stock coil though, I use the 9x12 one. Its an easy to use, turn it on and go metal detector.
As for a local shop, the best prices that I have seen have been at Kelly Co.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett.htm but maybe somebody has a better deals. I got mine off of ebay.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

two of the guys in our group use the 250 and they kill,ckeck out treasurefiends posts,your more than welcome to join us so you can check 'em out,local dealer is ron shore at windycity detectors,hes a good guy

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil

thanks for all the info guys!

i'm hooked and i didn't even get an MD yet lol... searching historical maps... and everywhere i drive i keep thinking.. that'd be a good spot ...etc

how hard is it to get permission from your guys experience? i keep thinking people would say no or want anything you find on their property etc etc

-Brian

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

RDB7,

I use an Ace 250 after having used a Bounty Hunter many years ago. It was a major improvement and for its cost, the Ace is a super great value. If you are new, there isn't a better detector because they are inexpensive and really easy to use. Essentially, they are turn-on and go. There are several modes on the Ace, but I use the coin mode mostly (when I'm hunting in trashy parks I switch to my custom mode which eliminates all signals minus quarters and dimes). I recently began hunting with a great group of guys here in Chicago and we detect an older area where another Ace user (TreasureFiend) and myself have dug silver coins and other great relics. The only downside to the Ace is that, with the standard PROformance coil, it doesn't detect very deep (at least not accurately), and this is the only reason I'm upgrading, though I'll never get rid of it and continue using it as my tot lot detector. I've had mine and used it extensively for a couple of years now, it's battered and beat but still works great and is good on batteries. I'd definately recommend it.

Joe

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ring doorbells
Call on the phone
If you get a " NO " move on.
See someone outside go up to them and ask.
Leave a note to call you ,then when they do call ,tell them why.
I do all the above and more.
If they want half look around a bit then leave. Me I don't do the 1/2 thing. Unless its greater then $300.00
Your in for the hobby your not going to get rich off it.

I just talked on the phone with a guy in Pennsylvania asking the same question on how to get permission and what to say.

I know a guy who demo's houses for a living. I'm always doing them.

I got permission to do an 1876 school house in Iowa next month by calling on the phone..

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used

thanks for all the replies guys!! just wondering... does the digging cause any permanent marks? grass dieing etc?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

This is primary detecting season because springtime digs are usually unnoticed right after you leave the area. Many of us do not hunt places like park lawns, ballfields and other high visibility sites in the hot dry summer months because the grass does not regrow so quickly. But in my local park, I've dug a few thousand holes and others have dug many thousands more and I'd challenge anyone to locate any spot dug.

Cut a clean plug, replace it intact and move on. Oh yeah, recover that silver in the hole too. In deep wooded or overgrown areas it's far less noticeable because much of the dirt is bare so just don't leave a hole and you'll be good to go.

If you're looking for a mid or low priced detector, check out all the mfrs. you can. Maybe even hookup with some locals and try out their machines to see how they feel and how you feel about the units used.

Hobbytown USA sells them in their stores, there is one in st charles, rockford, and other towns- go to their website and look at the store listings.
They also sell whites, and some stores keep minelabs in stock.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

Let us know what machine you get. We went to Cabella's after a little hunting yesterday and looked at the new Fisher F70 and the new Fisher F4, nice rigs for sure. They had an Explorer SE for $1000, nice price on that also.

They had a good selection of Minelab, Fisher and BH models available. That was at the Hoffman Estates store.

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used

Cabela's as in the fishing/hunting store? they carry MD's??

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used

Yep, that's the place. Check out the home and garden area downstairs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread