What's new

Anybody else still using the MX-5 or even used to run one?

wlb42

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2011
Messages
562
Reaction score
1,939
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am still using my Whites MX-5 that I bought "used" off of Ebay back in September 2014 which is still a little "erratic" at times but this is what I found in 10 outings in February 2019:

FEB. TOTALS: 1-Half, 221-Quarters, 160-Dimes, 5-Nickels & 85-Cents for a total of 472 coins (all clad) and a $ TOTAL of $72.85

Thanks for your reply. BILL
 
I just got a nice used MX-5 and a Used V3i and I've been hunting with both. The MX-5 is light and has some really nice features. I love the backlight and pinpoint button and the VDI range. I actually sold my Equinox because I prefer the tones and VDI range on the Whites machines now and the MX-5 performed just fine in my soil here in Indiana for the type of coin hunting I do. The 5.3 coil is really good at target separation and gets 6" with good VDI. It is also easy to swing for a long time.

I only had one place I couldn't hunt with it so far because of a overhead power line running into a house but other than that nice somewhat sparky threshold.
I'm still learning the V3i and think its going to take some time when I have longer to hunt with it.
 
Last edited:
Hey, Travis....Thanks for comment and taking the time to reply -- I used to own a Coin shop in Illinois for 10 years (1978-88) when I lived there(born & raised) until I moved & retired in FLORIDA in 1988. When I had the coin store I was also a White's metal detector Dealer for the area and have always used a White's for my #1 go-to machine, although I also sold other brands & used some of them - I (like you) like the accurate VDI ranges, tones & pitch AND also the depth of the White's line. I am hoping for an MX-7 for my next White's - I have heard excellent reports on them from the "field". GOOD LUCK, my friend & Happy Hunting -- BILL
 
Last edited:
Hi Bill,

I have an MX5 that I do still use. I also own an MX Sport but I still use the MX5 a decent bit. I love how lightweight it is compared to the MX Sport. I had to replace the battery holder last year in the MX5 - aside from that it's served me well.

HH

-Kev
 
I've had my MX5 for about 1 month do you guys hunt in a light rain with it? or do you cover both the battery box and screen

Thanks
 
Hey, Travis....I have had my MX5 for 4 1/2 years and have used it in a light rain many times even recently & never cover it or had any problems -- The manual does not mention weather conditions but I believe I have heard & read where White's claim it is rain resistant but that the screen & battery compartments are NOT submersible. Good Luck.

BILL
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom