ANYONE LIVE IN SOUTHERN NH?

JonAndDani

Nov 7, 2008
Holyoke, Ma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm™ IV
My girlfriend and I just got into this hobby/sport etc. I'm 22 and she's 21, and like most younger people here, our friends do not see the point in this, or why we get so excited about it. But we live in Western Mass and are often up near Brattleboro, VT and Keene, NH (brother is a tattoo artist is Brattleboro). So we would be interested if the opportunity arose for a group outing of sorts? Haha, like I said, we're new to this. Any pointers from fellow detectors would be very useful as well.

Good luck everyone,

-Jon

OP
OP
treasurechicNH

treasurechicNH

Sep 30, 2008
Southern N.H.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex + Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the freezing cold is here everyone, so our detecting will be limited to the beaches, I admit I am wimp when it comes to the cold, Id rather dowse myself in bugspray and hunt in 90 degree weather. What I am proposing is (that all interested) meet up after Christmas at a neutral location, convenient for N.H. hunters and Mass. hunters, as we have both interested in hunting together. I think that Epping, or Plaistow would be a good location, right off 125. We could meet for lunch or breakfast, even dinner( theres a great AppleBees in Epping on 125 by Walmart and Lowes) discuss our interests in the hobby, our finds and just get comfortable with each other before we meet this Spring. Any restaraunt suggestions are eagerly appreciated.( even MacDonalds, Wendys, and B.King are fine with me! :wink: I will keep my eye on this topic and cant wait to hear from everyone again!

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 679

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good idea TCNH. I'm open to all suggestions and if I'm available, I'll be there.

Hope to run across one or more of you at Hampton, Salisbury, Seabrooke, etc... this winter.

NHDUG

Nov 24, 2008
Mid southern NH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS,Minelab Excaliber 800, Ace 250, Minelab X-Terra 70, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I first want to thank RelicHunterBobNH for sending me this site. Thanks Bob.
I just registered here 2 minutes ago, so I have no profile or avitar and need to do that after this note.
I have lived here in SE NH since 1969....and have seen all the growth and great places bulldozed over and history lost to Pavement and buildings. If I had only detected way back in the 70's till now. I didn't and have been detecting since 2000. Have been to many places mentioned here and have been looking for some comradery since I lost a friend to a car accident. It gets boring and I get cold feet in getting permission. If I could find a local bud or buds to join, I think it will be awsome...cause I have got an unnatural, bitten by the bug disease.......I was wrecked back in 2001 when I got a Minelab Explorer XS and found my first Silver 2 reale. Since then, I have found other old coins and relics and got into water detecting with a Minelab Excaliber. If it were not for living so close to the coast I would go nuts waiting for winter to end. So I bought Neopreen chest waders and go anytime I want to at the beach all winter.

Please, anyone looking to hunt in the Dover,Rochester,Portsmouth....etc area....let me know. I am always ready for a hunt.......ask RelicHunterBobNH.......I have hunted with him and some of his comrads on other forums.....I am Known there as the man with a thousand questions ??? and The Joker :icon_jokercolor:, and To far gone to help :tard:, and .....

Hope to hear from someone and take care....I need to go fill out the rest of the story...... :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
treasurechicNH

treasurechicNH

Sep 30, 2008
Southern N.H.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to hear from you! I too have an issue with getting permission, not only do I end up hunting alone 99% of the time, but I am a woman,( strike two) I would be much more apt to knock on doors if I had someone else there with me! I live in Madbury N.H. so we are neighbors and I work in Dover. As you know our area has some great history behind it! Keep in touch!

NHDUG

Nov 24, 2008
Mid southern NH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS,Minelab Excaliber 800, Ace 250, Minelab X-Terra 70, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
treasurechicNH said:
Nice to hear from you! I too have an issue with getting permission, not only do I end up hunting alone 99% of the time, but I am a woman,( strike two) I would be much more apt to knock on doors if I had someone else there with me! I live in Madbury N.H. so we are neighbors and I work in Dover. As you know our area has some great history behind it! Keep in touch!

I finally got the nerve to ask permission in the ninth inning of the season.....I got 2 No's and 2 yes's....the first no was because of Liability if I get hurt.....and second NO was because he caught someone on his property without permission.....and the guy left the holes uncovered and was a bad Ambassitor to the hobby. This place looks like a Honey Hole to me....anyways...next place was yes and she said there is nothing there but have fun....so I did....it is a field I have driving past for ever...and it just looked like potential....I found out quick that all the finds were isolated to one area of the field....I found 1-1804 Capped Bust 1/2 cent,3 mid 1700's half pence, 1-Conn. Copper Colonial coin, 1- 1723 Hibernia half pence..along with old buttons and buckle......I think I like this asking permission thing....
The second place I got permission didn't get much for old cause it is at least a foot of fill....but did get a few old relics....they own 5 fields .....I just did them all real quick to see potential....Time ran out and now ground is frozen...I went out yesterday and had a heck of a time digging but did manage...the woods were still fairly easy though...Just can't think of any cellar holes at hand right now....I stopped looking for those after My buddy died....I just didn't like going out in the woods alone.....having Headphones on is nerve racking not being able to hear around you....last thing I want is to get charged by a mother bear with cubs....if you know what I mean....
I read your post and know how you feel about selecting a bud to go hunting with....being a female you need to take precautions....If you ever get over the fear and want to make an effort to get to know this Bug Bitten Metaldetecting fool....Let me know. I am always up for a hunt. I see you have a Minelab Quattro.....how do you like it....I wonder how close to an Explorer it is....I would be interested in knowing what coils you use and how you like them....I have Bought an 11" SE Pro coil and feel no need for any other coil....I have the 15" WOT, 12" sunray,8" ML, 5 " sunray....oh and a 15"x18" SEF coil.....holy mackeral is it heavy.....took it to the beach and it goes deep but so doesn't the 11" pro coil....no need to bring the Swingy thingy with it....this year at the beach has been a disappointment...I am hoping this winter will open up and reviel some Gold.......
Thanks for chiming in and hope to hear from ya......Doug (Just a mild Mannered Squirrel) Looking for a Super Dig!

RelicHunterBob

Aug 22, 2008
Brookline, NH
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, DFX
Permission

The more you ask .... the easier it gets! I had some cards made up and the helps. I like to think it makes you look more professional. Had 250 really nice cards made on line. Cost was about $20 delivered. If anyone is interested, send me your Email addressand I'll forward their flier to you.

HH

Bob K

OP
OP
treasurechicNH

treasurechicNH

Sep 30, 2008
Southern N.H.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too had cards made for only 17.00 bucks for 100 at staples, the background looks like spanish reales(neat!) Now I look like a pro but I need to get rid of cold feet, (that will be hard this time of year!) I plan on going scouting this weekend for potential spots here in my own area, with the leaves gone I am able to see cellar holes, old roads etc. that the foliage hides. Well to answer your question about the Quattro, I am actually waiting for it to be delivered, I know as soon as it gets here I will hit the beaches to give it a go, This model has been replaced by the Safari, so I got an incredible deal on a new one!

NHDUG

Nov 24, 2008
Mid southern NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Permission

RelicHunterBob said:
The more you ask .... the easier it gets! I had some cards made up and the helps. I like to think it makes you look more professional. Had 250 really nice cards made on line. Cost was about $20 delivered. If anyone is interested, send me your Email addressand I'll forward their flier to you.

HH

Bob K

I am sitting here right now looking at the one you gave me at the last hunt in Walpole NH this fall.....I had a thought when someone said....we should not use the word treasure in a title...PTHS and WWTSS at the bottom of card.....it just gets the arkies all upset....Just a thought Bob....Trying to preserve our future.....I know what we find is not a treasure, but a few lost coins from some old farmer years ago....but the word Treasure is what all the law makers see and try to stop us humble folk from finding it.....Just my thoughts.....

NHDUG

Nov 24, 2008
Mid southern NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
treasurechicNH said:
I too had cards made for only 17.00 bucks for 100 at staples, the background looks like spanish reales(neat!) Now I look like a pro but I need to get rid of cold feet, (that will be hard this time of year!) I plan on going scouting this weekend for potential spots here in my own area, with the leaves gone I am able to see cellar holes, old roads etc. that the foliage hides. Well to answer your question about the Quattro, I am actually waiting for it to be delivered, I know as soon as it gets here I will hit the beaches to give it a go, This model has been replaced by the Safari, so I got an incredible deal on a new one!

There is a place in Barrington I think needs some more research.....I went out and drove it and tried to find an area not posted and a fair amount of woods not too close to houses...well I stopped at a little stretch of woods too close to houses but had not much sunlight left so pulled over and in about 30 minutes found a 1826 Large Cent....and the whole area is old but many new homes around....did see a great old piece but nobody was home to get permission...I never went back....

There is not much left around this area as far as cellar holes go....most have all been hit by MD hunters...at least that is what my buddy and his cousin found out....so we started spanning out into Milton,Barnstead,etc.....still lots to find but I am sure most have been had...but doesn't mean they found everything....it take perseverance and hard work to find what is left....

Like I said before...anytime you want to hunt or do cellar hole drive by's let me know...we can meet for coffee and talk.....and you never know...we may just know some of the same people.....this is a small world after all.

JonAndDani

Nov 7, 2008
Holyoke, Ma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm™ IV
Keep me updated on any ideas. I hope we all get some good researching done this winter. I know the second the ground is remotely thawed we'll be out there!

-Jon

SteveP (NH)

May 19, 2003
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64 said:
Sounds like a good idea TCNH. I'm open to all suggestions and if I'm available, I'll be there.

Hope to run across one or more of you at Hampton, Salisbury, Seabrooke, etc... this winter.

I'll be out at Salisbury (in the state park) this Friday. I'll be swinging a Headhunter PI with an 11 inch coil so shouldn't be too hard to spot - so if you see me say hello....

If it doesn't rain I'll probably be out at either Hampton or Salisbury on Saturday and Sunday too.

SteveP
Hampstead

JonAndDani

Nov 7, 2008
Holyoke, Ma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm™ IV
SteveP (NH) said:
If it doesn't rain I'll probably be out at either Hampton or Salisbury on Saturday and Sunday too.

SteveP
Hampstead

Just hit Hampton the other day with no such luck. Hopefully yours is better than ours.

SteveP (NH)

May 19, 2003
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JonAndDani said:
Just hit Hampton the other day with no such luck. Hopefully yours is better than ours.

I was out at Salisbury last Sunday and didn't have any luck either but it doesn't matter to me - any day I can get out detecting is a good day even if all I find is pulltabs :D Plus I just picked up a 2nd hand Headhunter PI Pro so it will be fun to use that machine for the first time. On the findmall forums they say it goes so deep in wet sand that you should forget about the scoop and just bring a shovel. Hope that is true but we will see.

JonAndDani

Nov 7, 2008
Holyoke, Ma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm™ IV
SteveP (NH) said:
JonAndDani said:

I was out at Salisbury last Sunday and didn't have any luck either but it doesn't matter to me - any day I can get out detecting is a good day even if all I find is pulltabs :D Plus I just picked up a 2nd hand Headhunter PI Pro so it will be fun to use that machine for the first time. On the findmall forums they say it goes so deep in wet sand that you should forget about the scoop and just bring a shovel. Hope that is true but we will see.

Haha awesome. Happy hunting and tell me how that machine works out for you. I'm curious.

-Jon

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by Salisbury and Hampton on my way home from work today in the hopes that perhaps the big waves from the other day opened things up. Either it only opened them for a single tide cycle and I missed it, or it only brought in more sand - whichever happened, it wasn't even worth the effort of getting the detector out of the trunk.

Places I normally see a layer of pebbles were covered up with sand - the only thing the waves did was deposit a fresh supply of clams for the seagulls who were happily fighting over them.

Gonna try a local park tomorrow morning for awhile.

SteveP (NH)

May 19, 2003
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cubfan64 said:
I stopped by Salisbury and Hampton on my way home from work today in the hopes that perhaps the big waves from the other day opened things up. Either it only opened them for a single tide cycle and I missed it, or it only brought in more sand - whichever happened, it wasn't even worth the effort of getting the detector out of the trunk.

Places I normally see a layer of pebbles were covered up with sand - the only thing the waves did was deposit a fresh supply of clams for the seagulls who were happily fighting over them.

I was hoping that storm opened things up some too but it doesn't sound good from your report :'( - Oh well I'm still planning on heading out on Friday anyway. There are a few more tide cycles before then so maybe things will get better. Plus I'm guessing it might be a little tricky to pinpoint with a PI machine with an 11 inch coil so maybe there might be some benefit to using it the first time on a beach that is still sanded up. I'll let folks know how it goes when I get home Friday evening.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SteveP (NH) said:
Cubfan64 said:

I was hoping that storm opened things up some too but it doesn't sound good from your report :'( - Oh well I'm still planning on heading out on Friday anyway. There are a few more tide cycles before then so maybe things will get better. Plus I'm guessing it might be a little tricky to pinpoint with a PI machine with an 11 inch coil so maybe there might be some benefit to using it the first time on a beach that is still sanded up. I'll let folks know how it goes when I get home Friday evening.

Give it a go, but if you post a photo of a handful of gold rings I'm gonna be pissed :)

Just kidding - hey, you never know where that one little pocket might open up for you - I only checked 3 areas and the one thing that's certain is there's ALWAYS something out there worth finding, you just gotta get your coil over it!

I'll be watching for your report.

OP
OP
treasurechicNH

treasurechicNH

Sep 30, 2008
Southern N.H.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHDUG, I have to disagree with your buddies in a "friendly way" one of my favorite cellar holes is in Barrington it is in plain site all year round, its not set back very far at all. There is a cemetery adjacent to it, 2 wells, a Privy ( that appears to have been dug out) and a wagon road that I have yet to fallow all the way back in the woods. I always find stuff their it in my opinion has only been searched with a detector by me. One particular spot I have yet to detect is on Tibbetts road, apparently a school was located on that road in the 1800's, but again you have to walk way back to get to it according to a map I have. I NEVER venture too far in the woods alone So maybe we should put that on our list of places to check out in Spring! Barrington has alot of old properties still standing or waiting to be discovered, especially off Hall Rd., Young Rd. and French cross Rd.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread