OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Boones trace wasn't even in the late 50's early 60's. When Swift was traveling into Ky.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct, but the route was already there. It was a Buffalo trace in parts...it was later that the trace was cleared and widened to make the wilderness road. Remember Filson's land warrant was a mileage (60-70 Miles) from Martin's cabin (mentioned in the video). I found it interesting how quickly they got to Boonesboro from the Yatkin valley. Its still a good gauge of time for distance traveled from NC and the gaps taken. Basically 12-20 miles/day depending on terrain. Once on the KY side Boone's trace ran parallel to the Warriors path but slightly West of it. Probably to keep a safe distance. The warriors path ended up around Beattyville, Boone's ended up at Boonesboro. Its approx. 20-25 miles from each other on the KY River.

I am not so sure it was 1760s when Swift actually came into KY. I am starting to lean towards Prather's Swift...

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
The one thing that all the legends/journals has in common is the years Swift came into Ky..

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I keep saying, show me another Swift that came to KY in those years...otherwise we only have the one from Alexandria that Prather researched to go with...and he was a full generation too young for the the Swift Journal dates...he was born in 1764 near Boston.

Another thing to consider about the lead mined in PA. by his father in law Roberdeau, is it was found in limestone not sandstone. If that is a consistent 'place' for it to deposit, it could occur anywhere West of the mountains in KY or OH. This whole legend could have been a grand deception or distraction. I just don't know why, what motive to create such a story...other than land speculation...

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I like to think that the one that Prather was talking about is the one and that he bought the land in Johnson Co. knowing that the silver mine or stash was on the land. Since I live very close if not directly on the land that Swift bought from George James it could be very good for ones finances.
Believe it or not there is limestone deposits in E. Ky. mtns. There once was a quarry in Johnson Co. Still one on 519 between W. Liberty and Morehead. Not to mention the one on AA highway.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to think that the one that Prather was talking about is the one and that he bought the land in Johnson Co. knowing that the silver mine or stash was on the land. Since I live very close if not directly on the land that Swift bought from George James it could be very good for ones finances.
Believe it or not there is limestone deposits in E. Ky. mtns. There once was a quarry in Johnson Co. Still one on 519 between W. Liberty and Morehead. Not to mention the one on AA highway.

The best thing about Deeds is when they list the purchaser of the properties they do not say exactly who they are or how old they are? Maybe the Deeds in Prather's book were actually two or three different Jonathan Swift's. I do know one of them went to England I have a deed where Jonathan Swift purchased land in Kentucky from several gentlemen in England. Surely he would have purchased the land where the silver mines was located?

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
The best thing about Deeds is when they list the purchaser of the properties they do not say exactly who they are or how old they are? Maybe the Deeds in Prather's book were actually two or three different Jonathan Swift's. I do know one of them went to England I have a deed where Jonathan Swift purchased land in Kentucky from several gentlemen in England. Surely he would have purchased the land where the silver mines was located?

I would think! Was the deed made in England?? What is the date on the deed you have ?? Is the deed you have by any chance the one for land in present day Johnson Co ?? If you don't mind to say . If dated before the Rev. War would it be worth the paper it was wrote on after the Rev. War ?? I would like to see a copy of the deed for the land he bought in Present day Johnson Co.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
In researching Prathers video of the presentation at Prestonsburg, I'm finding that his topo puzzle was put together wrong Burnt Cabin is in the wrong place in relation to Paintsville. Another thing is that Ky. just went east to the Levisa/Louisa Fk. of the Sandy. The Deeds for the Pikeville area he found was in W. Va.. So the land that George James owned was West of Levisa/Louisa river.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In researching Prathers video of the presentation at Prestonsburg, I'm finding that his topo puzzle was put together wrong Burnt Cabin is in the wrong place in relation to Paintsville. Another thing is that Ky. just went east to the Levisa/Louisa Fk. of the Sandy. The Deeds for the Pikeville area he found was in W. Va.. So the land that George James owned was West of Levisa/Louisa river.

Has the State Boundary Lines moved? There is a whole chain of mountains between Levisa/Louisa Fork of the Sandy all the way over to the branches of the Tug River. I have been all over those mountains. As far as I can tell the mountains Prather speaks of are in Kentucky not West Virginia. Just like McDowell County, WVa use to be part of Tazewell County Virginia. Earlier than 1863 you have to go to Tazewell County Virginia for deeds that are now in McDowell County, WVa. I can't see your point.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
In the video Prather said the deeds to the tracks of land in the Pikeville area he found in Kanawha Co. I presume in the court house. At about 23:10 in the video is where he said it was described as being in Kanawha Co.. I presume he was talking of late 1700s

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe that was just where the land was transferred, But the impression I got was that it was part of Kanawha Co. Va./W.Va. ??? IDK

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prior to Kentucky becoming a state all 'counties' would have been of Virginia. If the land transfer happened prior to Ky statehood it would be listed in a Virginia land title book and that book would be in whatever county courthouse that the land was in at that time. Some early transfers were logged in Transylvania Company books but I don't think any of Swift's land claims were entered with them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Prior to Kentucky becoming a state all 'counties' would have been of Virginia. If the land transfer happened prior to Ky statehood it would be listed in a Virginia land title book and that book would be in whatever county courthouse that the land was in at that time. Some early transfers were logged in Transylvania Company books but I don't think any of Swift's land claims were entered with them.

He seemed to be implying that it was part of Present day W. Va when the land (100,000 Acres) I believe was granted to Swift.
Why then would it have been in Kanawha Co. and Not Fayette Co. along with the Johnson Co. Track ??? I'm finding his story harder and harder to believe. BUT I'm still hopeful.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you looked at the date of purchase? WVA became a state around the Civil war...way past Swift's time. That area is part of KY now, back then it was Kanawha County, VA. and part of the Kentucky territory. It would not become Fayette County until KY became a state and later on when Johnson county was formed...

Prather has been very thorough, although it is possible he made an error, I tend to doubt it.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing that matters is where this tract of land is located at today. I do not care if it is in Tennessee or Arkansas.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe the land in Johnson Co. was Surveyed in 1785 if indeed Swift bought land in present day Johnson Co. . I was researching to see how much truth there is to what Prather said as much as where the land is. Kentucky was formed From Fincastle Va. Kentucky was divided into 3 counties in 1780. A lot of what Prather says in the video wont hold water. Here is a link to something that deserves a read.

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~george/countyformations/virginiaformationmaps.html#Text

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
9 Counties separated as State of Kentucky (Bourbon, Fayette,
Jefferson, Lincoln, Madison, Mason, Mercer, Nelson, & Woodford)--------1792
Kanawha formed from Greenbrier and Montgomery---------------------1788-1789

This is inserts from the link about Va. Co. formation