What's new

Apush: 9 boxes of halves

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nine boxes is a load! At least Mr. Apush will be helping me dump this weekend.

Results:
3-Walkers (1 looks fake; has gold/silver coloring obverse and reverse). Tried the drop/bounce technique--my hearing is too bad. Too much loud music during
the 1960s) :laughing9:
2-Bens
3-1964s
44-40%
2-Cameo clads

3 boxes were el skunko's. Mr. Apush culled the most this week.

HSH,
Apush :read2:
 
Upvote 0
apush said:
(1 looks fake; has gold/silver coloring obverse and reverse). Tried the drop/bounce technique--my hearing is too bad. Too much loud music during
the 1960s) :laughing9:

If Liberty and the eagle are gold colored and the observe and reverse fields are silver, it is probably not a fake. If not fake, the coin has been gold plated on the major devices. These were sold through magazines at a substantial markup a few years ago, as being "24 karat gold enhanced".

Happy hunting.


-Arkham House
 
Apush,
I agree! 9 boxes is a lot of coin to move. I top out at 4 a week. More than that and it is too much like work. :wink:
Nice take on the nine! 8x 90% and 44x 40% is pretty good pickings. That's closing in on 8.5 troy ounces of silver. :hello2:
I too believe you have a actual Walker that ha been commercially enhanced and sold as a novelty coin. I've seen those advertised in several periodicals. In my mind, there is no enhancement appropriate or necessary for a walking lady liberty, it is perhaps THE classic American coin.
Congratulations!
Steve
 
:director: good score ! My hearing is not great either. Not bad enough for a hearing aid yet,but I would never rely on the accordian style sound test to find silver.
I do have a fake Barber half that upon close examination has the remnants of gold plating.If you hold it between thumb and index finger and slowing rotate it, the eagle on the back is askew.
I think that you did very good for 9 boxes.Better than I did this week with 11 and 1 skunk. Searching in quantity is the way to go. Always good to have a helper too.
HH
Rich
 
Great score, Apush! Keep at it....the silver is still out there somewhere.
rileyboy
 
how much does it weigh? what's the date? I got a counterfeit WL one time, a 1921-P....it was a very bad counterfeit, probably chinese? ..it was underweight and whoever was stamping them out didn't do their research because they stamped a "P" on the back... :laughing7:
 
Awesome scores apush - you did more boxes in that one sitting than I do in a week (7). :laughing7:

Wish I could open that many at once...someday I will! :headbang:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom