Arapahoe Princess Treasure any new clues?

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
I have alot of pictures of the area however I won't share those at this time. I will only confirm that the story is true and the location to this treasure is in Wyoming, Colorado or New Mexico.

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
I have alot of pictures of the area however I won't share those at this time. I will only confirm that the story is true and the location to this treasure is in Wyoming, Colorado or New Mexico.
I have seen the Doll and have stood beside her and walked around her.

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
I have had two expeditions with my crew. I believe that I have found the doll muneca. We believe we have found what would seem to be a shovel carved into a rock. Anyone interested in pictures of the site?

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had two expeditions with my crew. I believe that I have found the doll muneca. We believe we have found what would seem to be a shovel carved into a rock. Anyone interested in pictures of the site?
What State are you in.

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
Very much interested in seeing photos
Screenshot_20211126-180744_Earth.jpg
20220514_134709.jpg
imagejpeg_0(5).jpg

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
I believe the rock with the shovel etched in it is a clue left behind by the Spainish soldiers. We have not located the gold bars as of yet. The Doll looks very different from the ground unless you stand on top of her. Looks like she was upright and over time fell backwards. I have my theories on who she is. I did not leave anything behind yet :)

kped1664

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2023
Best of luck @Troaso! Hopefully you are a millionaire by now kicking back in the Caribbean and enjoying a drink. Love the photos - but one is super blurry so I can't really tell what it is.

Sources and primary sources (when available) are extremely important to me because I view that as the natural starting point for any adventure. This La Muneca legend has been a challenge in that regard. I've read the story in multiple books, but cannot locate any primary source for this legend. The books I've read don't cite to any earlier record. I've sent emails to website/domain holders and authors who have mentioned it but have yet to get a response. I can't even seem to confirm where the legend came from. I have seen different versions of the story - but the main points seem to be that a Spaniard married an Arapahoe chief's daughter, and was working the area (either mining or trade) when, in a haste, he or a group of Spaniards buried what valuables they had and fled. Of course, most die and there is one living soul to tell the tale. He returns back to the "area" and finds out he had a daughter, telling her the story.

On one hand, the stories say the treasure is buried near a rocky outcrop the Spanish called "La Muneca", and for some reason, this area is thought to be around the Spanish Peaks. My understanding is that this is because some evidence confirms that 17th century mines existed in this area.

On the other hand - this man's daughter supposedly believed La Muneca (or at least the treasure) is east of Las Animas, somewhere along the Purgatoire River southbound towards Trinidad. I have not been able to confirm anywhere where this came from. The only "evidence" for this would be that there is some evidence the Purgatoire river north out of Trinidad was a Native American Trail and it was possibly the trail followed by Archuleta in 1664.

Does anybody know where the legend originated or even when/date it was first published? There are many other similar stories (the Spaniards who were ambushed south west of the Spanish Peaks after leaving the Purgatoire River; and the Spanish Princess treasure which may have been confused with Arapahoe Princess) that have me wondering if some of these legends originate from one common ancestor.

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
Best of luck @Troaso! Hopefully you are a millionaire by now kicking back in the Caribbean and enjoying a drink. Love the photos - but one is super blurry so I can't really tell what it is.

Sources and primary sources (when available) are extremely important to me because I view that as the natural starting point for any adventure. This La Muneca legend has been a challenge in that regard. I've read the story in multiple books, but cannot locate any primary source for this legend. The books I've read don't cite to any earlier record. I've sent emails to website/domain holders and authors who have mentioned it but have yet to get a response. I can't even seem to confirm where the legend came from. I have seen different versions of the story - but the main points seem to be that a Spaniard married an Arapahoe chief's daughter, and was working the area (either mining or trade) when, in a haste, he or a group of Spaniards buried what valuables they had and fled. Of course, most die and there is one living soul to tell the tale. He returns back to the "area" and finds out he had a daughter, telling her the story.

On one hand, the stories say the treasure is buried near a rocky outcrop the Spanish called "La Muneca", and for some reason, this area is thought to be around the Spanish Peaks. My understanding is that this is because some evidence confirms that 17th century mines existed in this area.

On the other hand - this man's daughter supposedly believed La Muneca (or at least the treasure) is east of Las Animas, somewhere along the Purgatoire River southbound towards Trinidad. I have not been able to confirm anywhere where this came from. The only "evidence" for this would be that there is some evidence the Purgatoire river north out of Trinidad was a Native American Trail and it was possibly the trail followed by Archuleta in 1664.

Does anybody know where the legend originated or even when/date it was first published? There are many other similar stories (the Spaniards who were ambushed south west of the Spanish Peaks after leaving the Purgatoire River; and the Spanish Princess treasure which may have been confused with Arapahoe Princess) that have me wondering if some of these legends originate from one common ancestor.
Hi Kped1664,
I am researching as you are and also can't seem to find the origin of this story. We can collaborate if you want.

kped1664

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2023
Hi Kped1664,
I am researching as you are and also can't seem to find the origin of this story. We can collaborate if you want.
Of course! Let’s find this thing! My plan is to eliminate the obvious locations first. I’m not convinced about the “5 miles east of las animas” rumor because the purgatories river doesn’t start cutting into a canyon until about 10-15 miles south of las animas. But I have to check it out for myself first! I believe purgatorie river is a good call though because we know Spanish were there in 1664ish. My plan is to look into the stone cliffs around the dinosaur tracks on the purgatories river. But it may be tricky because that is reservation land.

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
Of course! Let’s find this thing! My plan is to eliminate the obvious locations first. I’m not convinced about the “5 miles east of las animas” rumor because the purgatories river doesn’t start cutting into a canyon until about 10-15 miles south of las animas. But I have to check it out for myself first! I believe purgatorie river is a good call though because we know Spanish were there in 1664ish. My plan is to look into the stone cliffs around the dinosaur tracks on the purgatories river. But it may be tricky because that is reservation land.
I have been out there twice. It's very unforgiving land. It's hot, rugged and everything there wants to stick you, cut you or bite you. Bring plenty of water and it would be I'll advised to go alone. I believe the 12 chest of gold are there and of the Arapaho princess treasure, the doll muneca is there also. She is in the picture.

Troaso

Nov 24, 2021
I have been out there twice. It's very unforgiving land. It's hot, rugged and everything there wants to stick you, cut you or bite you. Bring plenty of water and it would be I'll advised to go alone. I believe the 12 chest of gold are there and of the Arapaho princess treasure, the doll muneca is there also. She is in the picture.
Call me if you want. Tony-334-303-6306

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread