Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RFI, Radio Frequency Interference, and EMI, Electro Magnetic Interference, are interchangeable terms depending on the source of the emissions and their interaction with other electronics. For most intents the two terms are one in the same *and yes I expect others to point out the finer aspects* in layman terms.
Typically interference caused by other sources will occur when the types of electronics involved use frequencies that are very close to each others operational frequencies, or harmonics, and or the power output of the offending emissions is high enough to induce reactions in the electronics of the device being used.

For most metal detectors, VLF devices, other radio sources like FM broadcasters don't cause any interference with detectors because the fundamental frequencies both use are very far apart in the radio spectrum. Detectors use VLF frequencies ranging from 5 to 50 kilohertz where as FM devices can use VHF 99 megahertz to 121 megahertz or HF 2.4 gigahertz.

About the only time rebroadcasters are a problem is when the output power is high enough to cause problems or the transmitter is placed to close to the detectors electronics. But its not very common.

Long story short you'll probably have no problems with wireless. I would suggest you use a device that operates on 2.4Ghz as they cause the least interference in my experience but many people have used VHF devices successfully. 2.4Ghz devices often offer frequency hopping which reduces problems with other transmissions on received audio. VHF devices have to be tuned to open frequencies to reduce bleed over from common radio sources like radio stations.

OP
OP
K

Karuza82

Sep 1, 2014
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DDancer, thank-you. Very good reply you explained the problems in easy to understand language and also touched on several solutions.

I haven't seen any adverse effects with my detector simply because the 5 in 1 wireless headphone set is of such a low quality, cheap , POS. Dollar Store/made in china piece of crap it doesn't have the power to interfear.

If I get a better quality device it will probably 2.4 Ghz with more power/range. I might then think about shielding my muffler on a stick with some Alum. Duct tape if I attach rebroadcaster to md.

thanks all

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries. You probably should not worry about shielding unless you notice some problems after you cut the wire. Shielding might affect the rebroadcaster more than help the detector. Enjoy.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There have been times where i felt like I have had " stray RFI " in my headphones. Maybe a trucker passing my location running a large amp and transmitting as he passes me detecting. I have heard a garbled voice in my conventional headphones a couple of times in the past years

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread