Arrowhead. Any idea how old, what kind?

ReganOutdoors

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this out at Brown’s Ranch in North Scottsdale. It used to be a Hohokam hunting ground, as well as a site for people pre-dating the Hohokam. I put it back, so I can’t get any additional pics. Was just curious what kind of point and how old? It was laying right on the side of the main trail. I suspect the recent monsoon upended it and carried it there.

Attachments

• B511046B-0E2A-4922-8714-E333A63B6F30.jpeg
    B511046B-0E2A-4922-8714-E333A63B6F30.jpeg
    925.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 706D5D36-667F-4A6A-92E1-5E0CCE23737A.jpeg
    706D5D36-667F-4A6A-92E1-5E0CCE23737A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Regan,

:nono: You should go back and get that point mister; ASAP! :laughing7: Seriously! >:D Anyway, I'll take a stab at IDing your point and say it's a Middle Archaic, San Jose (5300-3800 YBP). Probably a dart point (spear point if you prefer). Those serrations were more pronounced at one time. Not sure of the material but it could be basalt. Check out the link...

San Jose Projectile Point

Just for the record, I would never put one back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ReganOutdoors

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the info Tdog! I wanted to keep it but figured I was going “by the book” in Arizona by putting it back. Are we allowed to surface hunt here? I know exactly where it’s at ;)
Funny thing is I was filming a video for my YouTube channel on Native American sites in AZ when I came across it. I posted on Facebook about the video I’d be posting this weekend, and quite a few Native American people slammed me for even picking it up!? I wasn’t aware it’s that polarizing of a thing to do, especially when it’s sitting right on a mountain biking trail owned by the city.

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I posted on Facebook about the video I’d be posting this weekend, and quite a few Native American people slammed me for even picking it up!?

Of course they did! If you would have kept it, they would have wanted you to give it to them. Go back and get it if you have permission to. Keep it and clam up!

OP
OP
R

ReganOutdoors

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course they did! If you would have kept it, they would have wanted you to give it to them. Go back and get it if you have permission to. Keep it and clam up!

Good advice :) Yeah, I think some people just want to get offended for the sake of being offended these days.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remember the Jimmy Carter clause? Here it is. Carter made them add the last paragraph. Go get that point! Gary

(d) Any person who knowingly violates, or counsels, procures, solicits, or employs any other person to violate, any prohibition contained in subsection (a), (b), or (c) of this section shall, upon conviction, be fined not more than $10,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both: Provided, however, that if the commercial or archaeological value of the archaeological resources involved and the cost of restoration and repair of such resources exceeds the sum of $500, such person shall be fined not more than $20,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. In the case of a second or subsequent such violation upon conviction such person shall be fined not more than $100,000, or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. [16 U.S.C. 470 (ee)(d)](g)

Nothing in subsection (d) of this section shall be deemed applicable to any person with respect to the removal of arrowheads located on the surface of the ground. [16 U.S.C.470 (ee)(g) – a.k.a. The Jimmy Carter Clause]

OP
OP
R

ReganOutdoors

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the information Gary! I’m really happy you clarified that! I know exactly where it is ;)

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the info Tdog! I wanted to keep it but figured I was going “by the book” in Arizona by putting it back. Are we allowed to surface hunt here? I know exactly where it’s at ;)
Funny thing is I was filming a video for my YouTube channel on Native American sites in AZ when I came across it. I posted on Facebook about the video I’d be posting this weekend, and quite a few Native American people slammed me for even picking it up!? I wasn’t aware it’s that polarizing of a thing to do, especially when it’s sitting right on a mountain biking trail owned by the city.

Since you said the trail is owned by the city I'm pretty sure that makes it public land so you did the right thing.

https://relicrecord.com/blog/is-it-legal-to-collect-metal-detect-or-dig-for-artifacts/

OP
OP
R

ReganOutdoors

Tenderfoot
Aug 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you said the trail is owned by the city I'm pretty sure that makes it public land so you did the right thing.

https://relicrecord.com/blog/is-it-legal-to-collect-metal-detect-or-dig-for-artifacts/

Thanks for the info. Just read the link you provided. We had a nice monsoon the other day. Went to check on where I put it and it’s definitely been washed away. Maybe it’ll get dug up again in a few thousand more years.
There’s no law against picking it up and moving it out of harm’s way right? I had a few people act like that was a horrible thing to do. I think leaving it on a mountain bike trail would be far more destructive. People really get offended easily these days, especially when someone is going above and beyond to be respectful and preserve things.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice go back for more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread