Awesome weekend on a Bavarian field, Hammered 1586 silver and the German Police.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great weekend on a Bavarian field, 3 hunts for about 6 hours detecting time and I didn’t finish this hunted out field, LOL. I have hunted this field several times and every time it gets plowed, it gives up more great finds and I take everything out of it as I go. I am fortunate to have several fields that I am allowed to detect even when cropped as I have established a very good relationship with the farmers and landowners. Sunday, the police stopped by just as I arrived at the field and asked me if I was going to look for more coins, I said of course, how did you know as I didn’t have the detector out yet. They said they know who I am then I remembered these were the same guys that stopped a few years ago just to ask what I was looking for. The police suggested I go over to the fields where the original town was until 1250AD and I had to explain I could not detect there because of my permit and it was considered a monument, I have fields around it but I can’t detect on the site. They laughed about that as it is farm fields now and wished me good luck. Here’s the field, there was an old farm at the top of this hill until the mid/late 1600s.
9Mar08field.jpg

A few whatsits, I am certain the bottom relic is an old heel plate, note the wear on the lower left.
9Mar08heelrel.jpg

A few surface finds, pipe stems, 2 black glass beads, broken blue glass bead, white glass button and a black glass button.
9Mar08glassbeads.jpg

Obverse of 6 buttons, upper right is a lead button, found a small hand full of buttons.
9Mar08buttonsO.jpg

Reverse of the buttons.
9Mar08buttonsR.jpg

A few relics, top is a small bowl weight, bottom a hilt from a small dagger or knife, left and right are unknowns.
9Mar08relics.jpg

Seven various sized musket balls and two lead seals.
9Mar08lead.jpg

Obverse of a nice beer token good for a half liter of beer and a religious pendant.
9Mar08beerRelO.jpg

Reverse of the beer token and religious pendant.
9Mar08beerRelR.jpg

Obverse of two copper coins, 1821 and 1851.
9Mar08copacoinsO.jpg

Reverse of the 1821 and 1851.
9Mar08copacoinsR.jpg

Obverse of two silver coins, 1808 and 1859.
9Mar08silO.jpg

Reverse of the silver 1808 and 1859.
9Mar08silR.jpg

My best find in a long time, a silver hammered coin dated 1586 from King Rudolf II of Austria, 1552-1612. His reign was from 1576-1612. The date of 86 is above the coat of arms. It is possible this coin is milled and not hammered as they were practicing coin milling during this time period and the coin has an oddity to it that does look like a milled slip as if they started to run it through then backed off. The obverse.
9Mar08sil1586O.jpg

Reverse of the silver 1586. Double headed eagle with crown above. 01:00 position on the legend are the letters RVDII for Rudolf II. At the 05:00 legend position is the oddity, note the RO is double stamped, this could be from the milling process or maybe a quick offset hammer tap. My Archie friend stopped by the field and IDed the coin for me, he actually pulled a list of kings from his wallet starting around 900AD as he is setting up a coin display in the museum and also asked me to contribute my finds for display. Our town turned 1000 years old this year and there will be a big celebration over the summer months that I will be glad to be apart of. It was a good weekend and I will be moving back home within the next month thank goodness!!! HH, Mike
9Mar08sil1586R.jpg

Upvote 0

Arkie John

Feb 8, 2007
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250; Explorer; Excalibur II

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread