What's new

Axe Head?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
2,523
Reaction score
1,396
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks. Found this iron piece on a farm here in the Shenandoah Valley. The home on the place was built in 1852 by one of Stonewall Jackson's staff. Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen an axe head (assuming that's what it is) like this one. It's roughly 3.5" by about 2.75" and a little more than 1" at the widest point. Any ideas? ???
 

Attachments

  • dabney_ax.webp
    dabney_ax.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 247
Might be a "kindling axe", I found one in Pendelton,S.C. At the back of an old Plantation house. About the right Size, Although mine looked like a normal axe head. Was told by an old timer that they made them small just for kindling......Who knows?? Nice find though
 
Upvote 0
Eric Sloane shows a similar head in his book, "Early Amerrican Tools". The big, boxy ones like that are early. Nice find!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom