Back To The Usual

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to the usual at some territory I detected several years ago; a nice wooded area that bordered an early 20th century school.
I think it would be best described as an old picnic area, though it does have a small area for the kids to gather and play.
I wanted to get into the woods today as the ground dried up quite a bit from the warm weather and not even a shower lately.
I could not think of anywhere more decent than this place at the time, and if anything else thought it would just be fun.
It has history as it dates back to the late 1800's. I found some old tokens, wheat cents, and Indians there in the past, but never anything else.
It was and is a trash heap. I mean literally. There are cans (new and old) all over the place, broken bottles, litter strewn.
Before today I thought it was totally cleaned out, and I believed I cleaned the last of it out some years back.
My finds were not outstanding today, but it dawned on me that I did not come close to getting them all, nor did I go over the entire area.
In fact, I am realizing I did not cover much in my previous attempts. I think all the junk around seemed too overwhelming at that time perhaps.
Anyway, I started further over from where I did last time I visited and was not there 15 minutes and the first coin I dug was the '35 Merc.
I was thinking today is looking real good!

Not a ton of great finds after that, but I think there may be a good keeper lurking there somewhere with a little more diligence.

((Did a small river bed a couple days back and got skunked. Not one good keeper to post, just bullets and some clad. I was thinking with the water levels down so much, I would go and check
out an old fishing/swimming river. Nothing great came out of that creek bed. I have yet to pull a decent keeper from the bed of a creek)).

1023a.JPG

1023b.JPG

1023c.JPG

1023d.JPG

Anyway, HH !

Last edited:
Upvote 5

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like you did OK in my book any time you find silver and wheats is a good day. Plus the fire truck is cool.....Matt

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anytime you can pull some keepers, especially and old Merc, it's a good day. I dug a jeep like yours, only mine was green. Your hunt just proves the old saying, "Where there's wheats, there's got to be silver".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions