Bad Coil?

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a real long shot suggestion and question for you, KREQ.
Do you route your coil wire up and over the lower shaft before winding it up the shaft to the control pod (as directed in the manual)? Next, have you tried taping it to the shaft, say, every 6” or so for a couple of feet coming up from the coil just to see if that stops the problem? Any coil cable movement in that area may get picked up by the coil. I have swung my Nox coil 2 feet under swings in tot lots and it reacted to the seats 2 feet above it.
BTW, my AT Pro sounded off whenever it hit something, regularly.

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McKinney: I have thought many times that I wish I could go back in time and take my detector with me to sites that now are developed or you can no longer detect on!!! Here in Mississippi, they no longer row up crops as in years past. They plant soybeans by basically just pushing them in the ground with the planter. Around here in the Spring, they bust up the field, come right behind with a section harrow, then plant all on the same day. The soil now does not get disturbed as much. Makes hunting for arrowheads much harder now. Just about have to hunt the creeks for them. I do look for them while detecting. But they are getting harder to find. Just like your Aunt, my Grandfather and my uncles all had great arrowhead collections. What ever happened to them, I do not know. I guess my cousins have them but I doubt it.
The picture is of a find I made and was in a midden pit. The lock and gun barrels, the bells and other relics date to the 1730’s. The other picture is of some Civil War cannon ball fragments and minie’ balls I found on an afternoon hunt The same here in Mississippi. They don’t plow anymore
McKinney: I have thought many times that I wish I could go back in time and take my detector with me to sites that now are developed or you can no longer detect on!!! Here in Mississippi, they no longer row up crops as in years past. They plant soybeans by basically just pushing them in the ground with the planter. Around here in the Spring, they bust up the field, come right behind with a section harrow, then plant all on the same day. The soil now does not get disturbed as much. Makes hunting for arrowheads much harder now. Just about have to hunt the creeks for them. I do look for them while detecting. But they are getting harder to find. Just like your Aunt, my Grandfather and my uncles all had great arrowhead collections. What ever happened to them, I do not know. I guess my cousins have them but I doubt it.
The picture is of a find I made and was in a midden pit. The lock and gun barrels, the bells and other relics date to the 1730’s. The other picture is of some Civil War cannon ball fragments and minie’ balls I found on an afternoon hunt.
Same thing with the farmers here in Mississippi. The only time our soil gets turned over is when they subsoil to plant cotton. A good time to go arrow hunting is after a good rain. Falsing on corn stubble or soybean stubble. My whites mxt does that has for many years. It doesn’t affect it, and it still finds the goods. Try going to a different area maybe a park. Bury a coin or two to see if it picks it up. You should get a general idea if it’s a bad coil or something other Just saying.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Same thing with the farmers here in Mississippi. The only time our soil gets turned over is when they subsoil to plant cotton. A good time to go arrow hunting is after a good rain. Falsing on corn stubble or soybean stubble. My whites mxt does that has for many years. It doesn’t affect it, and it still finds the goods. Try going to a different area maybe a park. Bury a coin or two to see if it picks it up. You should get a general idea if it’s a bad coil or something other Just saying.
Very interesting, thanks. I assumed the old planting and cultivating methods still included the
I keep my sensitivity as high as the detector will allow to run stable.
Why wouldn't I
Bright lights driving in fog in a car for example? Close stuff is blinded. The dims lets you see.

Looking for all of the shallower stuff with a detector gets "fogged out" with highest sensitivity, and masked. Hope that helps. You will lose depth of course but you get the shallower detection. You can always go hot after peeling the first, outer layer of the onion with lower sensitivity.

I may be way off base.

OP
OP
KREQ600

KREQ600

Apr 7, 2019
NE Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab Vanquish 440
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a real long shot suggestion and question for you, KREQ.
Do you route your coil wire up and over the lower shaft before winding it up the shaft to the control pod (as directed in the manual)? Next, have you tried taping it to the shaft, say, every 6” or so for a couple of feet coming up from the coil just to see if that stops the problem? Any coil cable movement in that area may get picked up by the coil. I have swung my Nox coil 2 feet under swings in tot lots and it reacted to the seats 2 feet above it.
BTW, my AT Pro sounded off whenever it hit something, regularly.
Yes Sir, I have done all the things you have mentioned, except taping the cord to the shaft. Will try that next!!! The main reason for my initial post was to see if anyone else experienced falsing when hunting in stubble and I got my answer form those who have responded. Seems like it is a common thing with all detectors. So, I am now Ok with a bit of falsing with stubble. Thanks for respond to my post!!! Appreciate it!!!

OP
OP
KREQ600

KREQ600

Apr 7, 2019
NE Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab Vanquish 440
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting on my initial post. Yes, used to hunt plowed fields back in the day for arrow heads when farmers would row crop. Now only corn and cotton are done that way to a certain extent and there is not near the amount of cotton grown around NE Mississippi anymore. I do hunt around parks quite a bit and have found some nice old coins and other artifacts around them. I learned a lot about my Equinox by hunting parks. I learned how to differentiate good targets from bad. But some things like nickels and can slaw can be a bit tricky. Both come in around 11 to 12 so ya just have to dig it sometimes. Even musket balls will ring up around 15 to 16 in Field 2...same as aluminum trash. Again, never know unless ya dig it. Think I have found my answer to my question in that most detectors seem to false some in stubble. Don't think my coil or cord is bad just need to be a bit more careful in the stubble!!

Junkironkid

Mar 23, 2012
MS
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting on my initial post. Yes, used to hunt plowed fields back in the day for arrow heads when farmers would row crop. Now only corn and cotton are done that way to a certain extent and there is not near the amount of cotton grown around NE Mississippi anymore. I do hunt around parks quite a bit and have found some nice old coins and other artifacts around them. I learned a lot about my Equinox by hunting parks. I learned how to differentiate good targets from bad. But some things like nickels and can slaw can be a bit tricky. Both come in around 11 to 12 so ya just have to dig it sometimes. Even musket balls will ring up around 15 to 16 in Field 2...same as aluminum trash. Again, never know unless ya dig it. Think I have found my answer to my question in that most detectors seem to false some in stubble. Don't think my coil or cord is bad just need to be a bit more careful in the stubble!!
This wk end if it doesn’t rain I’ll try and do some arrow head hunting.

Attachments

• F53B5807-91FA-4B24-8CF3-EEBF18748CFF.jpeg
    F53B5807-91FA-4B24-8CF3-EEBF18748CFF.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
KREQ600

KREQ600

Apr 7, 2019
NE Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab Vanquish 440
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Junkironkid: Nice arrow heads!! Everytime I detect a field, I look for arrow heads and pieces of broken pottery shards. Here lately, I have found some nice pottery shards but no arrow heads. I would have thought where I am detecting, I would find some but not yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread