Balestra Chain (Bracelet?) Double-Clasp

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all -

This is a piece from my grandmother's estate, and it's a bit different! When I found it, it was clasped together like a necklace. But then I realized there are two clasps - so I thought it was 2 bracelets? BUT, the two clasps are both attached to the same segment of chain! (Scratches head). Each segment has its own stamped link with the standard ITALY 585 on one side, and the balestra stamp, along with an icon of a bird (is it a bird?) on the other side. (The two stamped links are identical). I'm hoping this is only a conundrum to me, and that someone can help me understand what type of piece it is.

The photos illustrate what I describe - two separate segments of a very pretty link pattern, with one segment that has clasps on both ends...

Please forgive my limited knowledge and vocabulary. :)
Hope you are all safe and healthy!

Peace,
Joe

Attachments

• IMG_3311.jpg
    IMG_3311.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3312.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3313.jpg
    IMG_3313.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3314.jpg
    IMG_3314.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3316.jpg
    IMG_3316.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3319.jpg
    IMG_3319.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 87

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice.

'Balestra' actually means 'crossbow' in Englishā€¦ and thatā€™s what the figural mark represents.

I believe thatā€™s a watch chain in ā€˜double Albertā€™ style. There are various forms and various ways of wearing them but essentially each end has a clasp to which you attach whatever you want. One end would be the watch and the other end could have an ornate key for it, a signet, fob, small penknife, cigar cutter or whatever and tucked into the waistcoat pocket on the other side to the watch, with the chain looping across your midriff.

OP
OP
BridgetownTreasures

BridgetownTreasures

Jan 27, 2020
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
Other
Iā€™ve done a lot of looking at watch chains and I canā€™t see how this fits the bill. Most are much beefier with a central contact point and two chains, each with their own clasp at the end. If you look at the pics, I donā€™t see how this would work as a watch chain. ���� ����

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread