What's new

Barber Half Dollar * 1898 Medal * Indian Cent

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Messages
10,273
Reaction score
23,259
Golden Thread
0
Location
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
XP Deus 2
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did a all day hunt at a 1800's farm house a few days ago.
The homeowner said that a friend of his hunted the yard about 10 years ago and that "I probably wouldn't find anything". :tongue3:
I think we've all heard that one before !
The house is still lived in so I had to dig a lot of shallow clad coins before I could get to any of the older / deeper targets.

Indian Cent - 1902 - (Indian Cent # 52 FTY)
Barber Half Dollar - 1906 - O - (Dug (13) Walking Liberty Half's before finding my first Barber Half - this one).
Wheat Cents - 1910 - 1917 - 1934 - 1944 - 1953
(38) - Newer Clad Coins
Ear Ring - Sterling Silver - .925 Hallmark
"United Mine Workers Of America" - Bronze Medal - Dated April 1, 1898
This is the date that Coal Companies finally agreed to 8 hour days and better work conditions for their employees.
I found photo's of other variations of this Medal but I couldn't find any photo's of the exact same one I found.
Please let me know if you come across one !

Good Hunting !
 

Attachments

  • MAH - 12-27-25-A.webp
    MAH - 12-27-25-A.webp
    46.3 KB · Views: 230
  • MAH - 12-27-25-B.webp
    MAH - 12-27-25-B.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 179
  • MAH - 12-27-25-C.webp
    MAH - 12-27-25-C.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 174
  • MAH - 12-27-25-D.webp
    MAH - 12-27-25-D.webp
    89.8 KB · Views: 164
  • MAH - 12-27-25-E.webp
    MAH - 12-27-25-E.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Upvote 47
Very nice hunt.
Congratulations on the Half and the neat medal.
Just proves that there's always something left from the guy that detected it a decade(s) ago.
This is the only thing I can find.

Screenshot_20251230_120323_Bixby Vision.webp
 
Great hunt E-Trac-Ohio! Awesome finds. Gotta love those hunted out sites!
 
Did a all day hunt at a 1800's farm house a few days ago.
The homeowner said that a friend of his hunted the yard about 10 years ago and that "I probably wouldn't find anything". :tongue3:
I think we've all heard that one before !
The house is still lived in so I had to dig a lot of shallow clad coins before I could get to any of the older / deeper targets.

Indian Cent - 1902
Barber Half Dollar - 1906 - O - (Dug (13) Walking Liberty Half's before finding my first Barber Half - this one).
Wheat Cents - 1910 - 1917 - 1934 - 1944 - 1953
(38) - Newer Clad Coins
Ear Ring - Sterling Silver - .925 Hallmark
"United Mine Workers Of America" - Bronze Medal - Dated April 1, 1898
This is the date that Coal Companies finally agreed to 8 hour days and better work conditions for their employees.
I found photo's of other variations of this Medal but I couldn't find any photo's of the exact same one I found.
Please let me know if you come across one !

Good Hunting !
What a great hunting trip. Especially that medal.
 
Very nice hunt.
Congratulations on the Half and the neat medal.
Just proves that there's always something left from the guy that detected it a decade(s) ago.
This is the only thing I can find.

View attachment 2239055
Thanks for the reply pepperj !
Don't know why I couldn't find any photo's of the Medal when I looked ?
 
Thanks for the reply pepperj !
Don't know why I couldn't find any photo's of the Medal when I looked ?
I have been asking, or l do the Google eye and have found issues.
Been asking AI alot of questions and it seems to find better results.
 
Did a all day hunt at a 1800's farm house a few days ago.
The homeowner said that a friend of his hunted the yard about 10 years ago and that "I probably wouldn't find anything". :tongue3:
I think we've all heard that one before !
The house is still lived in so I had to dig a lot of shallow clad coins before I could get to any of the older / deeper targets.

Indian Cent - 1902
Barber Half Dollar - 1906 - O - (Dug (13) Walking Liberty Half's before finding my first Barber Half - this one).
Wheat Cents - 1910 - 1917 - 1934 - 1944 - 1953
(38) - Newer Clad Coins
Ear Ring - Sterling Silver - .925 Hallmark
"United Mine Workers Of America" - Bronze Medal - Dated April 1, 1898
This is the date that Coal Companies finally agreed to 8 hour days and better work conditions for their employees.
I found photo's of other variations of this Medal but I couldn't find any photo's of the exact same one I found.
Please let me know if you come across one !

Good Hunting !
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!
 
Reading everyone's end of the year posts I just realized something.
We just got buried with over 8" of snow and there's more coming.
The 1906 O Barber Half in this post was the very last coin I found on this hunt - so, it's also the last coin I found in 2025.
 
Great finds. That Barber half is a New Orleans mint product! Congratulations on all those finds!
 
Great hunt E-Trac-Ohio! Awesome finds. Gotta love those hunted out sites!
About two years ago the owner of a 1800's house with a big yard told me I could hunt his property.
He said his Brother came up from South Carolina and hunted the yard all weekend, several years earlier.
Said he really didn't find very much - just some newer coins and a toy cap gun.
Long story short, I ended up finding (7) Silver Coins (including a Ben Franklin Half Dollar) and a lot of Wheat Cents.
So, just because you see someone hunting a yard doesn't always mean they have much experience in the field.
 
Dang they had an 8 hour work day and no income taxes, also all the mines were still open and American industry was growing.
my grandfather was a member till he died in Perry county Kentucky a lot of black lung and cave ins but they are still there and still working today
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom